• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Winterizing Dock side water

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jerseyalbin

Winterizing Dock side water

Post by jerseyalbin »

I am not sure how to winterize the dockside water connection on my 28 TE? Do you need a pump to push some antifreeze into the hose connection? Thanks for anyinfo here!!

Jersey Albin
Craig
KathyN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Winterizing Dock side water

Post by KathyN »

That's a good question, and I don't believe it's covered in the winterizing thread. Any answers to this????

KathyN
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

As the water tank is drained the dockside water connection will drain naturally when the fresh water tank is emptied.

The following is how I winterize my entire freshwater system :

Personally I just drain the fresh water tank dry and call it a show by not adding any antifreeze to the tank. Be sure to do this while you are still in the water or you will never drain the fresh water tank entirely if the boat is on stands and tilted back to stern in order to get the bilge dry. I then lift the hatch cover in the quarter berth and disconnect a section of the blue (cold) pex water tubing exiting the water tank and slide a snug fitting piece of clear tubing over the blue pex leading to the domestic (fresh water pump) and put the other in the 1st gallon jug of - 50 (pink anti-freeze) and pump it through the fresh cold water faucets/washdowns/ and transom shower. Leave all faucets, wash downs and sill cocks open for winter lay-up.

For the hot water system I drain the hot water tank by opening the drain / sill cock on the back side of the hot water tank to drain any remaining water left in the tank. In order to get the the last bit out you must disconnect the blue (cold) line coming into the tank and the orange (hot out) line coming out this fully vents the system. You will be surprised how much more h20 gurgles out of the drain on the tank. Now connect the disconnected blue that fed the hot water tank to the disconnected orange that feed the hot water lines leading to the faucets and fixtures and you have now bypassed the hotwater tank for flushing the hot water lines to their respective faucets. As with the cold system I run the hot until the pink flows bright through the overboard discharge drains. Having someone outside to knock on the hull when it starts to flow and to knock again when things are bright pink will save a few gallons overall.

Some will want to run antifreeze through their fresh water tanks and hot water heaters. For me it seems to just be an added unnecessary task using an excess of pink antifreeze. I prefer to bypass both tanks. With my method both tanks are now empty and any little puddling of a few ounces that may remain has plenty of room for expansion when the freeze of winter hits. For those more cautious you could use a funnel to pour in many gallons of antifreeze into your fresh water tank and run it through the entire domestic water system.

As I have described is what was taught to me by my mechanic who did my winter lay-up the 1st year and I have followed this procedure since without incident in an area that always seems to find its way into single digit temps for days and occasionally dropping below zero in the wee hours of the AM.

I hit the hard this past Friday and winterized all systems on Monday. How bitter sweet!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Agree with Kevin on the dockside water connection. I have never ran the pink through it.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”