• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

slightly blue smoke, inconsistant RPM

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Jeff Lavallee
Gold Member
Gold Member

slightly blue smoke, inconsistant RPM any advice

Post by Jeff Lavallee »

Here goes: Sea Gal started acting up today. The boat came close to stalling but would not stall. I could put the throttle up to 2500 RPM and it would go down on its own, sometimes as low as 500 rpm with out moving the throttle. We limped all the way back ( she would not quit) and the RPM's seem to have a mind of thier own. I could have it 3/4's of the way forward and go to an almost stall and then move it back and gain RPM?? I am thinking fuel filters but really have no experience with any of this yet. There was a slight blueish/ withe smoke. I have the 6cyl Nissan LD-28. any advice? When I got back to the mooring and left her at idle she seemed to be running fine (at idle) as soon as I give it some "gas" it would be very inconsistant. Advice is appreciated
Jeff Lavallee
Gold Member
Gold Member

slightly blue smoke, inconsistant RPM

Post by Jeff Lavallee »

1985 Albin 27-Here goes: Sea Gal started acting up today. The boat came close to stalling but would not stall. I could put the throttle up to 2500 RPM and it would go down on its own, sometimes as low as 500 rpm with out moving the throttle. We limped all the way back ( she would not quit) and the RPM's seem to have a mind of thier own. I could have it 3/4's of the way forward and go to an almost stall and then move it back and gain RPM?? I am thinking fuel filters but really have no experience with any of this yet. There was a slight blueish/ withe smoke. I have the 6cyl Nissan LD-28. any advice? When I got back to the mooring and left her at idle she seemed to be running fine (at idle) as soon as I give it some "gas" it would be very inconsistant. Advice is appreciated

[edit: Topics merged]
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: slightly blue smoke, inconsistant RPM

Post by jcollins »

Given my recent experience with fuel filters that would be my guess.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Fortunate
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Robinhood Marina, Georgetown, ME

Re: slightly blue smoke, inconsistant RPM any advice

Post by Fortunate »

My initial suggestion would be to change the fuel filters. Sounds like it is starving.
Kim Suhr
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Robinhood Cove, Georgetown, ME
GoFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GoFish »

We had a similar experience last month. Turned out to be a clogged fuel filter -- the previous owner didn't run the boat very often. Apparently you accumulate a lot of crud in the tanks when it sits like that.

Go Fish
Jeff Lavallee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeff Lavallee »

That seems to be what the problem was. The smoke is gone and the engine feels like a completely different engine. Thanks for the help
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Glad to see you nipped it in the butt.

I do both my Racor and my secondary fuel filter a couple engine hours after Spring . Then the Racor gets changed out again late summer, needed or not, for the $12 and 10 minutes time it just aint worth waiting.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”