• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Inverter Noises

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Inverter Noises

Post by johnmurray »

I have a PROwatt 1750 inverter in my boat that was installed by the selling dealer before I took delivery. It is wired through an automatic transfer switch so the 110V power that comes from the inverter is distributed through the 110V wiring system that came with the boat.
This arrangement has worked well until late last season when there was a "chattering" noise that started when the inverter was turned on. This noise would continue for a few seconds until there was a click and the inverter turned on. This season the chattering noise lasts longer before the inverter cuts in.
It sounds to me that there may be arcing in the transfer switch, but I know next to nothing about these devices. Can someone suggest a diagnosis and a possible remedy?
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Inverter Noises

Post by N4QC »

Suggestion:

Turn off all AC electrical equipment. Then turn on the inverter. If the inverter performs as expected then the problem may be with the AC electrical equipment - one piece or all. Turn each piece on one at a time and check results. Keep in mind that some equipment will have an increased surge current when first turned on - such as with motors. This could be overloading the inverter at start up. If this is the case then make sure all AC equipment is turned off prior to power down of the inverter...

If the inverter still does not work as expected with no load then I defer to others..

Good luck,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”