• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Wet Sanding Before and ... After

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Wet Sanding Before and ... After

Post by jcollins »

I'm starting a new thread because we hijacked Special K's.
My Awlgrip fund is just not available this year. After meeting with a fiberglass guy he assured me that there is plenty of gel coat left on this boat. As was mentioned in the other thread Albin's gelcoat was thick. So, we are going to give it a try and see what the results are. This will require rewaxing every 3-4 months. Here are some pics of the before. You will see one section on the starboard side where he did a test. Last year I won the prize, at the Rendezvous, for the worst geloat. 8)
As I recall it will be 400 grit, 800 grit, 1000 grit, then compound 2x, then Rejex. (I think) I will also have to reapply the name and port of call.
I know it will look great now. I'm hoping it will look just as good at the end of the season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Jeff Lavallee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wet Sanding Before and ...

Post by Jeff Lavallee »

I need to remove the name and put the new port of call in as well. What is rejex?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Oh John, Those photos look soooooooo familiar.

http://www.rejex.com/rejex.html
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

My gelcoat is not as heavily oxidized as your pictures look but I need to compound or use something to remove the oxidation, I have a 2004 28TE.

I know at one point I found some good information on here and I cannot find it again? I am trying to be conservative the first time around and not go to the real aggressive compounds. I have the dark green hull, which does look nice when waxed but it needs work, particularly the side which faces south all the time.

Does any one know where the thread I am refering to may be found, or any experience would be helpful. Thanks, I am trying not to win the award at the NE Rendevous!!

Craig
Jersey Albin
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

As I recall it will be 400 grit, 800 grit, 1000 grit, then compound 2x, then Rejex. (I think)
Collinite, not rejex. Sorry.
John
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Wow, now that is oxidation! I'd a been embarrased to ride around in that thing :lol:

John, you are literally gonna be smilin' ear to ear when she's done. When I was all done with my 3 step compound, compound, sealer last spring I couldn't stare at it long enough. In the days before she splashed I'd drive by the boat in the AM on the way to the office and just do a drive-by. Like a black car, when they are shiny and clean, there's nothing like it. Looking forward to the "after" pictures. Afterglow couldn't be a more fitting name, now you have another answer when someone says "wheredya get that name from?" Just keep those "before" pics on the boat and had a few to them.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Wow, now that is oxidation! I'd a been embarrased to ride around in that thing
I was. Sharon even more than I. The worst part was when we were anchored next to some perfect boat and someone would say "those blue hulls are hard to keep clean". Ummm...it's black. :oops:

The big grin has started and is getting bigger. I was there Thursday. The name and the stripes have been removed. The transom was done and some of the sides. I was tempted to post pictures of the work so far but I held off. This guy is filling in nicks and scratches with gelcoat. He's doing a great job. I didn't go yesterday because of the rain but I'll check it out this morning.
In the first picture you can see the door. It is much better now, but there is no saving that. That will be repainted sometime this summer. Awlgrip is still my first choice but this will be a very good alternative.
John
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

A few progress pictures. Not completed but about one more 1/2 day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
John
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Looks awesome!!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

WOW :shock: doesn't really seem to cover it.
Looks great John.
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Just remember that Awlgrip is not perfect either, if it was they would paint it on boats at the factory. EVERY surface will oxidize eventually, any dark color just shows it more. I'd be curious to know how much this process costs you. If you wax or do Rejex in the spring and then half way through your season, a light compound and new wax or Rejex next year will bring it right back beautifully, yes there is quite a bit of gelcoat on the Albins. I have not seen a post yet that talks about burning through it.

Remember when people all said to you "Oh boating! That's so expensive!" this is what they were talking about, not the cost of fuel. Maintaining these complicated hand built machines like your life depends on it (which it does) is not for the faint of heart, arm, or pocketbook. Think of it as an exotic car that can sink and kill you in the process. One that you can take to places that most people can never go in their lifetimes, and do battle with sea creatures weighing as much as 1200 pounds! If you win, you can return with that creature to the dock where crowds will swarm you and people will talk about you in bars all over town. You might receive a large cash prize for your creature, but at the very least, reknown and a great feast with much lifting of glasses. To me it's worth every dime, even the "boring" time at the dock is precious to me.

Your boat looks great, you be rollin fat this season my man!
For inspiration check YouTube, search "I'm On A Boat"
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Looking Good :!: I'm sure many of us will be following your journey of reflection throughout the summer. I can see it now .... we'll all be wet sanding our hulls next spring commissioning season. :lol:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

John, looks fabulous and I thought of you yesterday (other than when I walked up to my boat and frowned at the oxidation on the starboard side).

Mhanna and I were installing my new overhead electronics. When we removed the starboard polymer constructed wedges from the old brackets there was a white sealer adhering them to the gelcoat. After removing the sealer it left a badly brown discolored stain where each wedge was. It looked horrible and cleaners with abrasives and compound did nothing.

So out came the 3M disc on the high speed drill. I had to literally grind down the gelcoat beyond the discoloration. Matt’s eyes popped out when I put the disc in the drill. :shock: After grinding it down and back to white I wet sanded with 400, 600, 1500 and then 2000 and then compound and wax and she shines like new. Wasn’t too bad figuring I had about 2 square feet to do, not 2 hull sides and a transom!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium

Re: Wet Sanding Before and ... After

Post by jcollins »

Final! Launched today. Very happy with the results. The name is not finished yet. Another coat of gold mettalic will go over the egg shell.

A couple of short videos as well.
http://www.albinowners.net/files/035.MOV
http://www.albinowners.net/files/038.MOV
John
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wet Sanding Before and ... After

Post by RobS »

Looks marvelous...I know you're a happy man. I'm sure the weather by you is as great as it is here today which makes it an even more enjoyable day. She really looks good, than new name looks sleek. Enjoy!

Boy, not too many boats get the TLC they get from the owners of this group.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”