• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

bottom paint question

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

bottom paint question

Post by fairtide »

I just browsed past discussions about antifouling paints but I could not find an answer to what is probably going to get me lots of answers. First, I keep my 28TE on the Hudson River (which is brackish) from sometime in mid April to about the middle of October. Next, this is a 2006 model that was commissioned in the middle of the boating season in '07 and so there have been one and a half boating seasons with the first coat of paint that was applied by Albin's agent in Cos Cob just before it was delivered.
With the one coat of paint that is most likely some ablative product, what is the advice of those of you who have owned your boats for a longer time than I have. With the old A27 and the slower speed, I opted for cheap paint that seemed to work, but the beam grew with each application until I got around to scraping. This is a new ballgame for me and I am looking at ads for paint that must have pure gold in it.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: bottom paint question

Post by jcollins »

I am not a bottom paint expert and you will get a lot of replies. I can only tell you what works well for me. I too am in brackish water. I have always used hard bottom paint. I sand and repaint every two seasons. Inbetween seasons I just touch up.
Other boaters in my marina that use ablative paint also apply a different color undercoat. That way you can see when it's wearing off.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: bottom paint question

Post by jleonard »

I used to use Interlux "Bottomcoat" which is an annual paint. I used to thin it so that I did the emtire bottom and waterline with 3/4 gallon. Did this for 14 seasons and never had to scrape. :wink:
Now I use ablative on my Albin, but again I thin it and only apply to those areas that need it so it won't build up.
I am also in brackish in Mystic, Ct, but I think it's saltier than the upper Hudson or upper Chessy.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”