• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A-25 Yanmar Installation & Steering Fix

Albin's "power cruisers"
DaveP

A-25 Yanmar Installation & Steering Fix

Post by DaveP »

Today I took several pictures of the new Yanmar 3YM30 installed in my A-25 along with pictures of the new stuffing box, muffler,steering fix, etc.

Pictures:

1. New instrument panel. I hate idiot lights so there are oil pressure, water temperature and fuel guages. As I write this email the fuel tank is soaking in a hot acid bath. After sitting for 12 years with diesel fuel in the tank, there was a build up of either varnish or organisms on the floor of the tank that had to be cleaned out. The tank should be ready tomorrow afternoon for reinstallation in the boat.

2. Close up of aft view of engine showing the new motor mounts and battery boxes.

3. Close up of forward view of engine.

4. Forward view of engine.

5. New muffler & exhaust hose.

6. New dripless stuffing box and 1" prop. shaft

7. Wide view of aft end of engine looking into forward cabin (rotate picture)

8. The new steering knuckle and ball. As I mentioned in a previous email, when I removed the starboard rear birth, I found the nylon steering knuckle laying in the hull in two pieces. The mechanic, from Bergeron Engineering, who is doing the repower, came up with this fix. The new knuckle is aluminum. As you can see the opening in the new knuckle was too large for the Teleflex cable so a spacer was fabricated to make a good fit. If any of you are interested in the part # and supplier of the new knuckle please let me know and I will put the info. in a future email.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments about what you see in the pictures.

Dave (1970 A-25 No Name yet #575)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ariina II
Swabby
Swabby

Re: A-25 Yanmar Installation & Steering Fix

Post by Ariina II »

Nice job Dave !

I have the older version of the Yanmar (3GM30 F) its a great engine.
So this new model should not be bad either.
Where is the diesel tank located in your Albin?

Ari
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Hi Ari:

If you look at the forth photo from the top "Forward view of engine" you can see the space where the fuel tank is located. The tank was removed in this picture for cleaning as it had not been used in at least 12 years and there was a lot of material on the bottom of the tank. In short the fuel tank is located on the port side (left) of the engine. The bilge pump in the photo is aft of the fuel tank. Hope this helps. Dave
Ariina II
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Ariina II »

Hi Dan,

Ok, thanks.
Thats how i thought it was. So it is in the same place that is in my A25, as it has been since new.
rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

Dave,

I have the Yanmar 3YM30 in my 2009 Ranger Tug. It didn't come with the oil pressure and temperature gages; Yanmar doesn't even show them as available options. Are your gages VDO? If they are aftermarket, could you supply me with their part numbers? And, did you have any difficulty finding fittings to attach them to the engine?

I almost didn't buy the Ranger because of the lack of gages. But, finally decided I'd put in aftermarket items. What's really weird is that Yanmar's manual for that engine really puts emphasis on temperature and oil pressure.

I miss my Albin 27 AC. But, it sold before the wife decided she really didn't want a bigger trawler, or stay on any boat. So I bought something to run around on our local lake and to use for day trips when traveling to the East coast and the Gulf. Maybe I'll get to use it to take some single handed two or three trips on the TN River. :D

Gene
Gene Currently Albin "less"
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Hi Gene:

I'll probably be going out to the boat tomorrow and will try to remember to get the part numbers off the guages for you.

Dave
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

rt11002003 wrote:Dave,

I have the Yanmar 3YM30 in my 2009 Ranger Tug. It didn't come with the oil pressure and temperature gages; Yanmar doesn't even show them as available options. Are your gages VDO? If they are aftermarket, could you supply me with their part numbers? And, did you have any difficulty finding fittings to attach them to the engine?

I almost didn't buy the Ranger because of the lack of gages. But, finally decided I'd put in aftermarket items. What's really weird is that Yanmar's manual for that engine really puts emphasis on temperature and oil pressure.

I miss my Albin 27 AC. But, it sold before the wife decided she really didn't want a bigger trawler, or stay on any boat. So I bought something to run around on our local lake and to use for day trips when traveling to the East coast and the Gulf. Maybe I'll get to use it to take some single handed two or three trips on the TN River. :D

Gene
Which tug did you buy? I really like the new 29. If I was shopping it would be on my short list.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

Dave, thanks. I'll be looking for your response. I'm really impressed with your work on your A25.

Sorry about hijacking your thread.

John, the last paragraph of my prior post is the clue to the tug I bought: the R-21 EC. Peggy and I were in Rock Hall, MD last Oct. looking at a larger trawler to replace our A27 AC. I'd wanted to see and try the Ranger 25 for some time, so we stopped at the local dealer. The Ranger 29 hadn't been announced at that time, but the dealer mentioned it. We sea trailed the R-25 w/150 Cummins, couldn't even see the R-21 EC, too many people around it. I loved the R-25; she didn't; remember we were looking for a larger trawler. Continued our boat hunting trip down the East Coast and then to Tarpon Springs, FL. At that point she admitted she really preferred hotels, motels and condos when traveling, didn't really care for a boat.

So, the question became what could we trailer easily on our travels and be easy for me to single hand? I then sea trailed the R-21 EC and another R-25 w/Yanmar 110 in Chattanooga, TN in Dec. Still preferred the R-25. However, I'll admit the looks of the R-21 EC appealed to me more than the R-25 and I preferred its handling. Went to the Atlanta Boat Show in Jan. 2009, they had the R-21 EC, the R-25 and the R-29. Love that R-29! It's a huge R-25, but better looking. If I were looking for a vessel for two people to cruise at close to an affordable price, it would be my choice.

Single handing a boat and single handing a boat with a trailer are two different things. I decided, at age 71, the R-21 EC is an easier package for me to handle. Besides, Peggy says if I don't like the little Ranger I'm free to get a larger one. How can one go wrong with a deal like that? :wink:

Check the Ranger supported website: www.tugnuts.com . Great factory and dealer support.

I still like Albins. My favorite is the 35 TE.

Gene
Gene Currently Albin "less"

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”