• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Update of Repowing A-25

Albin's "power cruisers"
DaveP

Update of Repowing A-25

Post by DaveP »

I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday season and that you are now looking forward to next summers boating season.

My A-25 is in Mesa, Arizona at Bergeron Engineering, having the new Yanmar 3YM30 installed. Last week I pulled the fuel tank so it can be cleaned before attaching to the new engine. When I took out the sending unit, I realized it would have to be replaced along with the fuel gauge so Bergeron will also do this work.

I have been reading with interest the discussion about stuffing boxes. I decided to go with a pack-less sealing system (P.S.S.). I'll let you know if I run into any problems and how the system performs. I've also asked Bergeron to make a new cutlass bearing out of high modulus polyurethane material. This should offer excellent support for the prop shaft with very little friction. This material is used in high performance drag boats that turn extremely high RPMs, so it should last forever in a boat turning well under 3000 RPMs.

After the engine is installed I will finish replacing all the thru-hull gate valves with 1/4 turn ball valves. Then I will put all new hoses on the fresh water and raw water systems and install new fresh and raw water foot pumps in the galley.

The final BIG job this winter will be to remove all the hull liner material throughout the boat. The liner and the foam backing have deteriorated and separated from the hull. The foam has dried out and turns to powder when touched. I plan to use a rotary cup wire brush, on an electric drill, to remove any adhesive or foam that remains on the hull. Has anyone done this job? If you have I'd be interested in hearing about how you did it and what you used to replace the liner and what adhesives you used.

Finally I want to lightly sand and oil all the exterior teak on the boat and replace the handrails that the previous owner has restored to new condition.

My plan is to lauch the boat in the U.P. of Michigan next summer, in the small town of Hessel. I then plan to head east into the North Channel and Georgian Bay. If anyone with an Albin in this part of the U.S. or Canada is interested in making this trip maybe we can hook up and cruise together.

Happy New Year
Dave
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Update of Repowing A-25

Post by Pitou »

Dave,
Glad to hear your restoration is still moving along and a goal cruise is on your chart. I know their is a lot of discussion about packing verses shaft seals. My 28 came through with a Tides Shaft Seal which only lasted about 145 hours and I replaced with a PSS at the recomedation of my mechanic. Off the top I know that I have 500 + hours on the PSS (knock on wood). A tip for one and all, I was reminded to keep bottom paint out of the drip point on the shaft srut as a key to longevity. Again glad to hear of your progress..
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”