• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

bottom paint

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Fortunate
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Robinhood Marina, Georgetown, ME

bottom paint

Post by Fortunate »

We pulled out Tuesday. The bottom looked great, just the usual amount of slime that power washed off with ease. No blisters, peeling or many blemishes at all.

Two days later, the paint is coming off in sheets, down to the layer below.

I spent considerable time and effort this spring sanding, using a cleaning solvent compatible with the paint system and finally applying two coats of Petit Unipoxy as suggested by the instructions on the can.

I was hoping to ruff up a few bad spots in the spring and give them a quick coat, but it appears I will be going through the entire process again. I want to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Any ideas as to what may have caused this?
Kim Suhr
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Robinhood Cove, Georgetown, ME
rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

If you used solvent on old bottom paint and then painted over the old bottom paint I'd suspect the solvent might be the problem.

The old bottom paint could have retained some of the solvent causing the new paint to fail to bond. The pressure washing could have it to separate.

Gene
Gene Currently Albin "less"
Jack28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jack28 »

Saw a bunch of boat's at Harry's Marina with e-paint and most looked great I think I Will try it this season as far as I know it is multi-season any thoughts? JACK

Return to “Albin Maintenance”