• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

NON SKID (GREY) Color on 32+2

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Doug
First Mate
First Mate

NON SKID (GREY) Color on 32+2

Post by Doug »

I need to repaint the Swim Platform on our 97 32+2. The non-skid seems to have a sand type finish. Do any of you know the exact color of light grey Albin used for the non-skid on these boats?
Thanks,
Doug
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

Doug -

Don't know about the 32+2, but I had to repair & paint the swim platform on my 97 28TE due to delamination and learned from Albin that all the non-skid was gel-coat(!). I bought regular abrasive-based non-skid paint, which was way too dark gray. Got a 2nd quart of white non-skid and mixed to sort-of match the light gray original gel-coat. It did'nt matter too much that the match was'nt perfect - it's not very noticeable being on the outside of the cockpit. Hope this helps!

Ed
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Merry Kate wrote: all the non-skid was gel-coat(!).
Ed
That's interesting I figured it was some sore of a paint, awlgrip, epoxy, or something.

I have recently been on mhanna and RicM's boat that both have grey non-skids. The grey color on all 3 of our boats are a bit different in shade so I would not worry too much about finding out what Albin used as I think it would be a crap shoot as to how good a match it is going to be. The samllest removable panel with the grey should be the one of the anchor locker hatches. You could remove one of those and take it to a Benjamin Moore store and have it matched up. They local store here sells paint to commercial fisherman for the decks and says they are really happy with the results. I think it was the Iron Clad line, don't remember for sure.

I have a couple dings in the platform and plan to do this at some point so I can repair with white Marine Tek and then touchup with the grey paint
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Don from Mystic »

Any decent glass supplier (LBI in Groton Ct for example), can supply gelcoat and pigments to match your colors. Like house ceiling paint, a non skid granule can be blended in to provide the surface you desire. If you paint over gelcoat you are doomed to use only paint in the future.Paint (except for epoxies like awlgrip) prob wont have near the durability that gel coat will. Be sure to get "wax added" gelcoat vs tooling so that it will cure properly. Do a search for fiberglass suppliers and what you need should be there.An alternative to the non skid additive is to "blot" the gelcoat (like stucco).
bigdishdoctor
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Sebastian FL

Post by bigdishdoctor »

You might want to take a look at this product. Looks pretty close to the factors non-skid.

http://www.pachena.com/

Steve
Steve White
ALBIN 32+2
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

bigdishdoctor wrote:You might want to take a look at this product. Looks pretty close to the factors non-skid.

http://www.pachena.com/

Steve
Have you used this? At a quick glancem it's impressive - looks good and simple. The grey color sample sure looks close to what we have on Albins.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
bigdishdoctor
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Sebastian FL

non-skid

Post by bigdishdoctor »

No I haven't use the product but like you stated it sure looks like the factor non-skid. I did email them to see if they had in the past provided non-skid to Albin, but they said they had not. So when it's time to recoat I will try some on a hatch and let you know what I find out. Likewise if you try it let us know how it works.

Steve
Steve White
ALBIN 32+2

Return to “Albin Maintenance”