• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

I'm thinking fuel filter...Update

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

I'm thinking fuel filter...Update

Post by jcollins »

I'll try to describe this best I can. This is the first time since last year that I let the fuel get to a 1/4 tank. The bay was good today. 1' or less chop, no problem. We were coming into Middle River with the usual heavy boat traffic causing confused seas. In there the chop was 2+ from every direction. I went into Sue Creek where the limit is 6 knots. I was running about 1200 RPM. All of a sudden the RPM jumped up about 300. Sputtered a little. I pulled back on the throttle and it idled about 150-200 RPM higher than normal. Did not cut out. We just cruised around the creek for another 30 minutes or so. Storm clouds were coming in so we decided to go back to our marina and wait it out. Leaving Middle River, out to the bay and then back to our marina I ran 3200-3400 to get ahead of the storm. The boat ran fine. Back at the marina the idle was erratic. The storm came and went so we decided to go back out. Started, cut out. Re-started fine. Left the marina at 1700 RPM. Jumped up again to 2000. After that I ran my usual 2500-2700 RPM with no issues. This seems to be happening at 1700 RPM or less. I did not notice any smoke.

I'm thinking I stirred up some junk in the fuel tank?
Last edited by jcollins on Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

"Generally" a clogged filter will cause problems more at higher rpm than at lower rpm.
Surging rpm at lower rpm in my experience has been air getting into the fuel system.
Of course if the filter is badly clogged you could be drawing air into the fuel because of the high vacuum.
So yes, first change the filter and let us know what it looks like.

(I have friends who recently bought a house on Sue Creek...thanks for respecting their shoreline)
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Sue Creek is very nice. I have some friends that just bought a home there as well. I also kept my first boat there. 78 Sea Ray. Have friends at the yacht club and also get my fuel there. Nice anchorage.
John
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I would agree that it sounds like it might be air in the line. Drain the site bowl on the primary filter and see if there is anything in it. I would also change both filters reguardless and fill up the tank. If it starts to build up a vaccuum it could suck in air but it also might be that your fuel guage is off a little and the fuel level is lower than it shows on the guage and with the bouncing around it could pick up air for a second or air bubbles in the fuel. Let us know what you find if anything. Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

TTT.
John..did you solve your problem?
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

jleonard wrote:TTT.
John..did you solve your problem?
Before I could solve it, the problem went away. I filled the tank. Since then, it has started fine and idled fine.
I'm still going to change secondary fuel filters and check the primary.
John
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

the problem went away. I filled the tank
Be careful here.....a split pickup tube in the tank can cause problems at lower tank levels (at or below the problem area) and then be fine at higher levels (above the problem). Sucking air will cause the engine to surge.
So take notice next time the tank is low and that might help diagnose.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

jleonard,
Thanks for that information. That makes the most sense so far. I will check it out during winter layup. For now I'll fill up at a 1/2 tank.
John
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Seems to be tank related. Level dropped to a 1/4 tank and the problem started again. I filled yesterday and once again it went away. So, I'm leaning towards your suggestions about the pickup tube in the tank. The obvious question is where I begin or do I leave this up to a mechanic?

I also noticed a sheen on the water in my slip when I shut down yesterday. This may or may not be related. It's also possible that it was already there since this is the first time I noticed it. Today I'll go back to the marina and let it idle for awhile to see what shows up.
John
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

John, I had to lift the hatch over the fuel tank last year to repair some wet balsa core. Use a utility knife to cut the caulk, remove the screws and just lift the hatch. It lifts easily and when off it exposes the top of the fuel tank. From there it should be an easy fix to remove the cover on top of the fuel tank. While the hatch is off you can change or check the fuel filler hose, vent, scuppers and anything else you can get to. You can also make sure your tank vent is supported properly to help during fill up. After you replace the fiberglass hatch, mix a batch of epoxy and pour it in all the screw holes and let it sit. After it's hard, use a pilot drill to start your screw hole, then chamfer to the same diameter as the screw head. Apply silicone caulk in the screw hole and set the screws, then apply a bead of caulk around the hatch as it was before. Let us know what you find in the tank, Im curious. Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

I also noticed a sheen on the water in my slip when I shut down yesterday.
Diesels do that.
I'm trying to recall if I ever saw one that didn't leave a sheen and I'm comming up empty.
Level dropped to a 1/4 tank and the problem started again
Sounds like a split or short pickup tube.
I replaced one a few years ago with a plastic one made by Tempo. Cost $10 and was recommended by my marina. End should be approx 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the bottom...cut on a 45 degree angle (eyeball).
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Thanks Everyone!
John
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

John, This is basically what you'll have with the rear deck removed, real straight forward once accessed.

The arrow points to the sender and the supply and return lines are next to it.

The epoxy in the screw holes suggestion by Denis sounds like a great idea. As far as re-sealing the perimeter of the deck, use Boatlife "Life Seal", not silicone, 5200, lifecalk, etc. Here's the link. I think I used 2 tubes, maybe a third, the large size that goes into a std caulking gun. It skins real quick so do short runs, maybe a foot at a time, and wipe with a wet rag to get a finished surface. It helps to have a partner for this. Here's the link for the product:

http://boatlife.ipower.com/shop/index.p ... ex&cPath=6
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Rob,
Thanks for the picture. It will help.
Time to fix up those fuel vent lines too.
John

Return to “Albin Maintenance”