• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Salt water wash down

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Salt water wash down

Post by Denis »

This question is for John or anyone else with an Albin 28 of my era.
Does your salt water wash-down operate? Mine has never worked and after having installed a new pump, cleaned the strainer, checked the hoses, opened the through hull to make sure there is water and back primed the pump, I still can't get it to work. The previous owner said he was never able to get it to work either. The pump runs and the polarity is good but no water, any suggestions. HELP
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

If it were not a new pump I would say the pump is spinning but the impelller is damaged and it's not pushing water although you hear it spinning. This should not be the case if it's new. Not much you haven't covered except maybe the faucet? Did you disconnect the hose at the outlet side of the pump and see if it's pushing water out?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi Denis,
When I first got my boat the hose was disconnected at the faucet. Other than that I have to tap the pump to get it started but it works after that.
I'm guessing it's just old and time to be replaced. It's been on the "spring" list for two years.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I did not remove the faucet to check it, but I did conect a double ended hose and pushed water through it backwords, no blockages and no leaks. I suppose I will try another new pump. The funny thing is I will probably never use it but I hate having something on board that doesn't work. Thanks.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I use mine when fishing. Which isn't often. Those guys "up north" put me to shame.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
AlanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlanD »

Mine is used all the time for fishing, no issues with it.
Alan
2008 28 TE NE
Brandon Marie
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

New Pump

Post by RicM »

I would disconnect the hose out of the pump and flick the switch on and see if you get water out. If so try to get water to flow the right way through the faucet. There could be a faulty (backwards) checkvalve you can;t see. Assume nothing.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

RicM, I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Are you sure your through hull valve is opening? Disconnect the hose on the faucet side of the pump and see if it picks up.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Yes, I took off a hose on the through hull and water poured in.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Ok, well it sounds like you've checked all the mechanical stuff. But have you checked the electrical? Are you sure you're getting power to the pump? I would troubleshoot from that end back to the breaker and see what you come up with.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Denis, on my boat the salt water pump also supplies the bait well. Do you know if water is going to the bait well? If it is wide open there may not be enough pressure to make it to the faucet.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I checked the electrical, I get plenty of power and the polarity is good. The pump runs just fine, just does not pump water.
I have a separate through hull and pump for the bait well and that works just fine.
I still think I have some sort of priming problem, I can see the water in the bottom of the strainer but it does not move when the pump is turned on. The only way I can have some sort of movement is if I loosen the hose on the outlet side of the strainer. This is such a simple problem, I wish the fix was as simple. :shock:
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Simple, replace the pump. Sounds like its done. It should not take you 15 minutes to swap it out. I had problems with my fresh water pump this spring picking up. Swaped it out in just a few minutes and it is working just fine.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Get yourself a bucket of water and disconnect the hose from the seacock and put it in the bucket. You might even try a new hose, with the outlet of the pump routed directly into the bilge. If it doesn't pump water, it's a bad pump. It is quite possible that the motor runs fine, but that the vanes in the pump itself are damaged, and won't pump water.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”