• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rudder Port Question

Albin's "power cruisers"
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rudder Port Question

Post by Don from Mystic »

I am in the process of make ready on an 83AC I purchased in November. Although the rudder port has an ordinary bronze threaded packing cap the tube it is on is an unthreaded fiberglass tube (fortunately ending above the water line but it drips when underway). Wondering if the composite tube is an "aftermarket" repair or the wrong cap is in place? The tube shows no evidence of having threads. Many Thanks, Don
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yesterday Calders book arrived from Amazon - GREAT book - especially for a fellow with his first inboard - Based on what Ive read and the fact that the rudder post is about 1/32dia (if that) smaller than the tube it goes through, Im now wondering if the rudder was a fabricated replacement.

Id really like to hear from a reader that can share the diameter of a known stock post so that I can compare and replace the one I have to allow for bushings, if appropriate also the distance it sticks up from the tube would be helpful.

Many Thanks!
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

My rudder is constructed from stainless sheet it's hollow and
the post is sched 40 (thick walled) SS pipe. It's well made but I
doubt its production - theres no place for a zinc (but there will
be). No skeg extension (shoe?)for lower support.No cast iron arm at
the top, again a stainless fabrication. Either my boat was produced
in a ginny pig stage or someone wacked somthing (I suspect the
latter). I have obtained the "next size down" pipe and will be
replacing the existing stem and adding delrin bushings, or I may
sleeve the entire rudder pipe with PVC pipe.There's an 84 within
walking distance, it has a a solid 1" stem a factory bronze rudder
port etc and the lower support.All first class.
47Bassman

Rudder Tube

Post by 47Bassman »

I recently purchased an 84 27' FC with a similar problem. On mine there was evidence of old threads. It looks like a threaded sleeve was pressed on the tube. The rudder shaft is also SS with a diameter of 1 5/8". I fabricated a piece of aluminum which slips over the packing gland and is secured with 4 bolts. This temp fix seems to work but has not been fully tested in rough seas. If interested I can take a picture to better explain the fix.

Randy
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for describing your clever fix. I ended up buying a pvc female threaded coupling which I secured over the origonal fiberglass port. I bored a pvc threaded cap to allow the post through and added two small holes for a spanner wrench.Seems to compress the packing fine - no leaks. When I fabricated a new post and bushings I added a hook at the top of the post so I can suspend the post should I need to disassemble things. Interesting little project. Thanks again for your post. Don
DELETED

great

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”