• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Looking for extra cleats

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Looking for extra cleats

Post by tribologist »

Hi, any chance someone have an extra A25 cleat pair tucked away that they would consider selling? I like to add midship cleats to Driftless and i been eying the ones on the stern serving as ladder rungs... would love to leave them in place.. i can find some in Europe but not anyone that ship to the usa and the only once i find here are like $350 ea.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Looking for extra cleats

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Ouch! Back in 2014 I found a pair of the matching teak bar cleats (cataloged as "bollards") for a total of $117 tax & shipping included from The Brass Works, Inc. They don't have them in their catalogs anymore, but you can call them at (386) 943-8857 and ask. I track every nickel spent on boating in Quicken, so I can look up what, where, when, and how much I paid for any and every thing. You'd be appalled at how much I've spent on repairs and upgrades over the past 10 years.
DSCN3670edit.jpg
However, I did find this on eBay for $93.88 ea + shipping. It says "Buy it now" or "Make Offer". Can't be much demand for these, maybe they'll give a discount for buying two. Ah, the wonders of Google.
teak bar cleat.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184731584989?c ... 0wEALw_wcB

Still expensive at $187.76 plus shipping for a pair, but way less than $350 each.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

I will take a look. Those look nice! Lol. I did three BOAT’s so far. Water heater and pump, composting toilet and this weekend im swapping in new axles on trailer. Getting a starlink and a portable printer to make it possible to work will be #4….
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Good luck with the eBay seller. Plastimo was the only other possible source I knew of and they probably want an arm and a leg like you were talking about if they even sell them at all. If I weren't selling our boat the teak dowels on the stern cleats on our boat could use replacing. Set screws that hold the bar in place are only accessible through the hollow inside of the posts by removing them from the deck and removing the threaded mounting studs. They are one of coolest features of Albin 25's.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

I have two on the stern….
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Off they came. Is Mahogny ok for the dowel? Teak is $50 for a 3’ dowel. Mahogny is $15
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Mahogony would probably be OK if kept vanished. Teak would weather better if left natural or oiled with teak oil. My "La Dolce Vita" name boards are mahogony and have to be revarnished like any brightwork. The desert sun does a number on them. Also why I keep the varnished teak grab rails covered.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Should have done this a long time ago!! Took 30 min to get the “ ladder” off the stern. Bought 1-1/8 mahogny and made a little fixture to get the 3.8” spacing. Had to mark and grind down the non skid and the fillet inder tge rub rail. 1/4” aluminum backing plate and replaced the brass studs with 2” 3/8” UNC setscrews. Acorn nuts to finish it off. Maybe 2 hours spent.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”