• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

RAW WATER PUMPS

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Bobforz
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Avondale RI

RAW WATER PUMPS

Post by Bobforz »

Has anybody had any luck rebuilding them mine is leaking from the seal/bearing area 3 years old. Where is the best place to buy rebuild kits or new pumps.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: RAW WATER PUMPS

Post by Tree »

If you are talking about the 6lp raw water pump then its a yes from me.

Really easy to rebuild but you must specify stainless steel collars for the shaft seals as they are fitted with plain steel as standard and will fail after a short time.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Bobforz
Mate
Mate

Post by Bobforz »

Yes, I am talking 6lp where did you buy the kit, I can't seem to find them. The pump I just removed was an oem Yanmar part installed 6/18 more than a little disappointed in Yanmar! I think I need after market.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

One note I will make here after also experiencing premature failure of the water pump is that blockages in the cooling system can cause premature failure. Even if your temp is not creeping up, you may want to look into doing a Rydleme flush or having your coolers serviced as well.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Bobforz
Mate
Mate

Post by Bobforz »

They were serviced when the pump was installed. Just bought a new pump JPR aftermarket $567 I still would like to rebuild the old pump as it was just starting it leak and only 3 years old, my intention was to check the impeller, I was pretty disappointed what I saw but thankfully I caught it, they can make one hell of a mess in a short period of time.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I found new bearings and seals with stainless garter springs at my local bearing supply house. All the required information was embossed or printed on the worn parts. I did use a hydraulic press, but only because I have one. Used to change out wheel bearings and seals in the dirt next to the broken down car. Using screwdrivers, drift punches, sockets and a hammer. It worked but I like to think I've progressed. It turns out I've just gotten old.

My pump, though probably smaller, is about 5 years old and leaked a bit all last year. These parts are wear items in a tough environment and need watchful maintenance periodically. Your pump is probably not Yanmar, there being about three pump manufacturers left in the world. I had enough pump bodies laying around to come up with a ready-to-go spare. That sticker shock is common.

Surely a local mechanic can assist. He doesn't need to know it came off a boat. Tell him it's off a washing machine. Ha!

Check out Marine How To for the process.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”