• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Lewmar windlass replacement

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

dougleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Lewmar windlass replacement

Post by dougleonard »

I have a 2007 28TE and the windlass has finely gone out. It appears that you have to remove the bow pulpit to access the windless screws to remove the unit. On my boat the only bolts you can access from the anchor locker are the four bolts that hold the bow pulpit. Has anyone had to remove the bow pulpit to remove the windlass. Thanks for any Info.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Lewmar windlass replacement

Post by Tree »

The nuts for the windlass will be underneath. The windlass is mounted on studs so you don’t have anything visible on the top side.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
elad9000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart FL

Post by elad9000 »

I just replaced my windlass with a Maxwell RC10-8 vertical. With 700lb of pull it has way more power than needed for the 28 TE but I got an open-box deal which I could not pass up. Being so large I had to remove the bow pulpit and craft new mounting pads as well as make for more clearance space. Pulpit is super easy to get off the boat by removing the four screws. Just be sure to tie it off so as not to lose it overboard.

Biggest problem I had was crafting new mounting pads. The original windlass had threaded rods long enough to go all the way through the 6-1/2" thick block in the pulpit. The new windlass has shorter rods for a 2-1/2" thickness. So, with my handy oscillating saw I cut out the areas where the mounting rods go. Also had to cut out clearance for the motor that mounts horizontally. Not so hard to do either. Epoxied everything for water protection and added a starboard slab between the pulpit and the windlass.
Widlass.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Dale Purdy
enJOYCEment
2000 28 TE 1800 hrs
Stuart, FL
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Good looking install, well done.
28TE "Kozy L"