• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2001 28TE Yanmar 6LP fuel leak.....

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

2001 28TE Yanmar 6LP fuel leak.....

Post by Mike Monte »

This past spring while my getting my boat (boat was on-the-hard) ready I noticed some fuel in my bilge - not much - so I assume(d) that it was leaked when my fuel filter was changed in the fall....
A couple of weeks ago I began to noticed a few drops of fuel in my bilge. (I have never seen this before in-season.) Not much.....but not wanting to let something go.....I cleaned the bilge under the engine and drops keep appearing...
I've checked under the fuel filter and it is dry......
Thoughts?
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: 2001 28TE Yanmar 6LP fuel leak.....

Post by Norseman »

. I've checked under the fuel filter and it is dry......
Thoughts?
Did you check under Both fuel filters? :shock:

I got the same boat and the same engine.
Start putting down fuel diapers to identify where the drops are coming from.
If you have a Flowscan system, more connections and more possible leak sources.
B15147B2-193B-40F8-BD31-17C45B510008.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

In addition to the absorbent pads, run your fingers over the fuel delivery system to feel for greasy diesel fuel. Start at your off engine filters and follow the fuel lines to the on engine filter, fuel pump, pump lines, injectors, and fuel return lines. Start with engine off and then with ear protection move to engine on if necessary.

For future troubleshooting, consider purchasing an engine parts manual. They're invaluable for learning and would help you understand and follow the fuel delivery in this particular troubleshooting situation along with many others.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Did you change the filters? If not, check the braided lines at the engine filter. Make sure the bolts are snug. I had one of the copper washers get a small burr from bleeding the lines and it caused a very small leak. Was hard to trace cause it ran down the lines and down the side of the motor. It was very small, but like you, never had any trace of fuel in the bilge.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I had a solid line with a minuscule split that drove me nuts trying to find but kept running. Daily checks, diapers, running fingers along all lines and connections are what it took. Still nuts, though.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

If you resolved this do post the outcome here to add full value to this thread. If you are still searching, do check the injection line fittings at the delivery valve holders on the injection pump. If one is weeping, back it off and retighten a few times and the snug it up real tight and it should reseat/reseal itself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”