• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Raw Water Impeller Replacement on 2007 Flush Deck

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

LloydT
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Pilley's Island, NL CANADA

Raw Water Impeller Replacement on 2007 Flush Deck

Post by LloydT »

I'm looking for advice on how to change the raw water pump impeller on my Albin 28. I haven't done this since we got the boat and it looks like a daunting task. Would appreciate any helpful hints. Thanks!
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Raw Water Impeller Replacement on 2007 Flush Deck

Post by Norseman »

What engine?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
LloydT
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Pilley's Island, NL CANADA

Post by LloydT »

Oops! It's a Yanmar 315.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Ok, well I don’t have no flush deck, but on my engine-box Yanmar it is not practical to change the impeller, yank the whole pump out and instal a new (or overhauled pump) I have 2 or 3 of these Johnson pumps, always one ready to go in.
The impeller does not wear out first, it seems to be the the axle seals, starts dripping salt water.
I did it 6 months ago on my boat and it was a nightmare as the nuts were rounded, could not get them off. Also they are below deck so you are working blind laying on your belly sweating and swearing.
I am running a thread on everything that can go wrong on an Albin 28TE, go look at the thread, viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10612
And look for January this year, pretty sure I described it in details with pics etc.
Oh, and one more thing: I heard the water pump are even more of a pain in the butt to remove and replace on a flush deck than a engine box boat. :shock: :mrgreen:
Good luck.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”