• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

stuffing box is fully adjusted to limit Albin 27

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rockycoastcruises
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Harpswell, Maine

stuffing box is fully adjusted to limit Albin 27

Post by rockycoastcruises »

My 1987 Albin 27 Sport is new to me. I had a mechanic do a run through of the equipment and engine and he made the comment that my stuffing box was fully adjusted and needed new packing. I had too much going on to get the specifics on this but wish I had. When I bought the boat the shaft ran cool and it didn't seem like there was any problem or adjustment needed. With my list of other things to do I'm hesitant to jump in and start repacking if it doesn't need it. It is the old fashioned stuffing box that came with the boat. I can see a few threads showing on the shaft behind the hub. This seems to be what the mechanic was referring to but not sure he is right on his advice on this. Can anybody give me some advice on this? It doesn't look like much fun to get down there and loosen the required nuts and hub. I can include a photo if that helps. Here is the surveyor's comment which might help to make sense of my question.
The flax packed stuffing box for the driveshaft is fully tightened indicating that it needs to be re-packed. I
recommend re-packing the stuffing box
Thanks
Joe
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Re: stuffing box is fully adjusted to limit Albin 27

Post by GSSeattle »

Sounds like the packing nut on the stuffing box is fully tightened down, meaning there is no room for further adjustment if your seal starts leaking more than the recommended few drips per minute for cooling. I'm sure there is a thread on here about how to repack a stuffing box.

Very in depth article / how-to here:
https://marinehowto.com/re-packing-a-tr ... ffing-box/
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”