• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

salt water intake pump

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Ray Morley
Gold Member
Gold Member

salt water intake pump

Post by Ray Morley »

looks like we have a leak on the saltwater intake pump. I think it is the pump. I have been advised to replace the entire pump and not just the impellar. Anyone got any help or info on this project?

Thanks
Ray Morley
Sea Inn
Morning Star

Raw Water Pump Leak

Post by Morning Star »

Ray - My advice, for what it's worth, would be to remove the pump as an assembly and take it to a shop that specializes in marine pump repairs.

Get them to check the bearings, seals, impeller, etc. To me, the extra effort is well worth it, since at this point you don't know if a shaft seal is leaking or if it's the seal on the cover, and is good insurance for the future.

An external leak would generally not be caused by a worn or faulty impeller; more likely one of the seals.

And, if the impeller is shot, look for pieces of rubber downstream that can (and do) clog heat exhanger cores.
Ray Morley
Gold Member
Gold Member

raw water pump

Post by Ray Morley »

thank you for the advise I will do as you suggest. It seems to make sense I thought it was a bit unusual for the leak to start so early in the engine hours. I'd bet as you have suggested it is perhaps a seal.
Thanks
Ray Morley
Sea Inn

Return to “Albin Maintenance”