• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Packing gland

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Lo2jones
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Point Richmond, CA

Packing gland

Post by Lo2jones »

Sorry, but I new here, and new Albin 25 owner. Trying to figure out the packing gland. This looks strange to me. It is not the normal flax packing nut. Thanks for patience and under standing. Larry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Packing gland

Post by dkirsop »

Whet you are looking at is a mechanical seal. It is lubricated with a soft marine grease. I use either Mercury or OMC type outboard lubricant - the type used to lubricate the tilt and pivot points of an outboard motor. The screw you see is for access to the grease chamber. Remove the screw and place a small amount, about a 3/4" strip into the grease inlet. It will melt and lubricate the seals as you are under way. I do this about once a year.

Do not fill the chamber as the grease will expand when warm and push out the front seal.

Whenever you launch your boat be sure to loosen the two front clamps and flex the hose to get the trapped air out of the shaft log. Once you see water dripping into the sump tighten the clamps and you are good to go. This prevents a "dry seal" from overheating and destroying the seal lip.

Check out Albin Motor if you need to source new seals https://www.albinmotor.com/AlbinMotor/e ... index.html
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Lo2jones
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Point Richmond, CA

Re: Packing gland

Post by Lo2jones »

Okay, thanks. Well worth my AOG donation!!

Return to “Albin Maintenance”