• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Paint bubbling on window trim inside and out

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Seabisket
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: LaPush, WA

Paint bubbling on window trim inside and out

Post by Seabisket »

I have a 2000 35TE and the window trim on the inside and out is bubbling and chipping off (everywhere). Does anyone have a recommendation on how to repair this. It looks like it has been powder coated on aluminum. Goes without saying there is a lot of window trim on a 35TE (both inside and out)!
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Steve
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Paint bubbling on window trim inside and out

Post by Norseman »

Seabisket wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:19 am I have a 2000 35TE and the window trim on the inside and out is bubbling and chipping off (everywhere). Does anyone have a recommendation on how to repair this. It looks like it has been powder coated on aluminum. Goes without saying there is a lot of window trim on a 35TE (both inside and out)!
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Steve
Had the same on my 2001 28TE: First I tried to take the frames off, but it turned out to be impossible, 5200.. :shock:
Sanded, primed and painted in place, problem solved.
See my this thread: http://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtopi ... =5&t=10612
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

I'm afraid I have to 2nd the sand, prime paint approach. Goes without saying, taping will be the big chore. I advise to wipe down with acetone before taping and after sanding to get off all of the fine dust so your paint adheres better.
2 part stuff is best, perhaps pithane ultra from PPG. Its marine grade and works on metal.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Longo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Milford ct

Post by Longo »

I will third the sand/prime/paint - had a leaking aft cabin window - was able to remove it to replace to weather stripping and yes, aluminum with the factory black paint in rough shape. Sanded, primed, and painted with a good rustoleum spray paint and it came out looking like new. As they say with painting - all the work is in the prep!

Good luck!!

Return to “Albin Maintenance”