• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Injectadeck foam for soft deck

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rockycoastcruises
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Harpswell, Maine

Injectadeck foam for soft deck

Post by rockycoastcruises »

The aft deck on my Albin 27 Sport is a problem. It appears that the core is mostly wet or missing. I've been exploring different ways of fixing this problem and came across Injectadeck https://injectadeck.com/ I don't know if anybody has thought about using this product but curious for any feedback you might have. It's a two part closed cell foam that is suppose to "easily" repair soft decks. It seems very compelling but just not sure if this is the right choice. I would like to hear some opinion on this. Thanks
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Re: Injectadeck foam for soft deck

Post by jashmen »

Interesting
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Very interesting product. I've not heard of it before. Like you, I would look for opinions of someone who has used it. I've had soft decks before on a 21' center console, and I would probably have given this a go if it was an option. Heck, I turned down several "good deals" because of soft spots when I used to flip boats. My thoughts are it won't fully fill all voids or do a 100% repair, but its probably good enough. I did note the following warning from their website:

WARNING! – Injectadeck is NOT recommend for use on Transoms. While people seem to like it for that, transoms are a critical structural component and Injectadeck does not have the same structural load bearing properties as your fiberglass transom.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
rockycoastcruises
Gold Member
Gold Member

I hadn't seen that warning. Nice observation. It seems too easy to be the right choice but willing to give it a try if I could get some reviews. The company tells me that over 4000 people have used it but I sure can't find them when searching on the web. It seems like there were a few comments about the product that other on the blog questioned as the reviews were outstanding and these were the only posts by this person???????? I'll wait before using it. I can't do much until the spring anyway but trying to get ready. When you look at the aft deck of the 27 sport there really isn't much deck when you take away all the hatches. I asked the company what happens if this stuff doesn't work as I expect and he said that I'd probably want to be putting in a new deck - It makes me wonder how reversible this decision might be if I'm not happy with the results and want to do it the "right way"
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

The application process for this is similar to what is in the West Systems guide. You might just consider using epoxy. Plenty of opinions available. I'm sharing a link to the guide, but I can't remember the page numbers for deck repair. Nice guide with a good table of contents.
http://www.albinowners.net/aog/download ... p?id=22519
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Longo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Milford ct

Post by Longo »

Good afternoon - two of my boats had soft spots and I did look into Injectadeck, from what i have read it looks like a simple and easy solution - however very costly. Due to the cost I went the penetrating epoxy route, used West’s version and I think Total Boat (been a while) - had great success with both. Good luck and stay safe.

Longo - Albin PB37
rockycoastcruises
Gold Member
Gold Member

When you look at the actual amount of deck minus all the hatches/storage bins there really isn't much there. Unfortunately I have more than a few soft spots - probably 1/3rd the deck needs work. The foam sounds very tempting but cutting out the top layer of the deck and doing it right doesn't sound that bad (famous last words until I"m in the middle of it). The deck surface also seems very forgiving to patch up and repaint and apply non skid. Maybe next fall.
srcody617
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston Mass.

Post by srcody617 »

27FC: I have this problem at the doors to the aft cabin. Currently, doors have been removed, storage underneath as well removed, and there is no real support from underneath.
It looks like digging out the 1/2” high balsa sandwich between top and bottom layers with maybe a hook or a handsaw would work and filling that void with epoxy and hard foamboard might work. Maybe drilling 3/8 holes and injecting epoxy here and there would do it, when you cant get at the edge.
I’ll be doing this soon and will keep you posted on result.
rockycoastcruises
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks, I'll be curious to hear how it turns out. I'm still on the fence about using Injectadeck. My biggest fear is creating a bigger problem than I have. Currently leaning toward cutting away deck and doing it right - how hard can that be with so little deck area and a non skid that should be easy to repair???? I think that injecting with epoxy is possible however trying to dry out the core for this to work seems to be a bit of a challenge up here in Maine which isn't much different from Boston.
srcody617
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston Mass.

Post by srcody617 »

Well, I have not yet attacked this soft deck problem. (This is an A27FC)
Yes, the soft spots are on the centerline running forward from the edge of the doorway to about 16” and maybe about a foot wide. The fiberglass layers are about 1/8” thick with 1/2” balsa core totally rotted out and mostly missing.
I’m thinking that the right foam, it must be very RIGID, can be inserted after the rotten stuff is removed. There’s easy access when the entire door assembly is removed. You cannot remove the threshold alone as the vertical frame is joined to the threshold with 4 screws.
When I got the boat, almost all the teak had been removed, including the drawers and step of the aft cabin. Fortunately i have the pieces, and will reinstall in my process. (I’m not rushing this, as I’ve been advised to remove and clean the fuel tank—more later)
My latest plan is to use the electric chain saw to hog out the bad balsa core in roughly a rectangle to a depth of 16” or so. Compressed air and vacuum. Then goop up this panel of rigid foam with thickened epoxy (after test fitting it) and insert it in the clean void space. Benefit: No holes in the deck.
That said, i wouldn’t hesitate to drill holes in the deck— 3/8”? About 3” apart and inject thickened epoxy into the holes. I think some air can be tolerated if the blobs injected are an inch or so in diameter.
“Stay tuned” —this is one of my smaller concerns!!!
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

The electric chainsaw sounds like a good idea, since you can toggle on and off and take tour time. Very innovative!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

I know I've sold my boat. But I had the same problem when I first bought mine. The core was rotten 24 inches out. Tap on the fiberglass to find out how much is rotten. I left the scupper in poured straight epoxy around them and pushed thickened in. I cut the bad section out with a vibrating saw. Very little dust. I made the mistake of ripping up the cut out section and destroying it. I should of pealed it up and cut the still stuck parts with the vibrating saw. I ended up cutting close to the edge so I ended up epoxing and taping up the sides. I used coosa board. I scored the back with a saw so it would bend up by the doors. I put three layer of fiberglass cloth on top and coated everything with kiwi grip. A guy at the marina was working on fiberglass and quoted me $3200 to $5000 to do it. I had a friend help me.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”