• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

stress cracks around aft deck hatches

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rockycoastcruises
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Harpswell, Maine

stress cracks around aft deck hatches

Post by rockycoastcruises »

I have recently purchased a 1987 Albin 27 Sport. I have noticed that the aft hatches that are along the sides - not the main hatch - have cracks in the gel coat around the edges. It is thin there to allow the hatch to be recessed but over the years it has worn. The gel coat is showing signs of stress, some worse than others. I want to repair these cracks (not all are hairline cracks) before they get worse but not sure of the best approach. The other part of this that I don't understand is that the hatches are made so that the recessed area forms a channel around the hatch so that water sits there with no place to go until it leaks into an area that it shouldn't or evaporates. Is this the way it is suppose to be? Any solution on how to keep water out or drain these channels?

I guess while I'm on it the main hatches have been replaced with sturdy boards that seem to do the job very nicely however I would really like to have a set of original hatches (the large ones that go down to the prop shaft and keel). Any suggestions on where to find these? Just thought I'd ask.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”