• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

windshield wiper replacement

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

larryl
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Punta Gorda Fl

windshield wiper replacement

Post by larryl »

I am looking to replace the windshield wipers on my Albin 28 the ones i have are basically useless and to small
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: windshield wiper replacement

Post by Norseman »

larryl wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:50 am I am looking to replace the windshield wipers on my Albin 28 the ones i have are basically useless and to small
Lots of posts of the subject around here.
Some guys have switched to a different style called Pantograph or some such thing, I got replacement blades and arms at West Marine instead. (Same as the factory stuff)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

+1 for swapping out for pantograph the best bang for buck upgrade I’ve ever done. I’ve now replaced the wipers on three other Albin 28’s here with the same set up. All the owners agree with me how much better it is, especially with the green water we get round here.

One day I’m going to twist Norseman’s arm enough and he will move over to the dark side of the wiper world 🤣🤣
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Tree wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:48 pm +1 for swapping out for pantograph the best bang for buck upgrade I’ve ever done. I’ve now replaced the wipers on three other Albin 28’s here with the same set up. All the owners agree with me how much better it is, especially with the green water we get round here.

One day I’m going to twist Norseman’s arm enough and he will move over to the dark side of the wiper world 🤣🤣
Ha, I am all for the upgrade to pantograph vipers, if needed.
So far, Not needed: If the weather is bad, I stay home, or at anchor. If the weather is good, I go cruising.
Like a Gentleman Farmer, I am a Gentleman Cruiser, never sail to windward, never battle pirates and storms and so far my windshield wipers has been plenty good enough.

(And I hate drilling holes in my boat, and there was talk about the motors not being strong enough to last with the pantograph wipers, or was that just isolated incidents?) :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

In all honest Dagg, I’ve got two of mine running on twenty year old motors. They are so damn efficient and to be honest, reallly cool looking when underway. You just gotta have em!

It’s just one hole to drill per wiper. If you ever opt for it - I’m more than happy to guide you through it.

What I do like about it is the amount of screen it clears. Unlike you lucky guys we have a massive plankton bloom here in may which is like mud on the windscreen. Quick splash of fresh water and 80% is the screen is clear. The good thing about the marinco pantograph upgrade is it’s built in to accept the screen wash option - one day I’ll get round to it.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”