• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

North Sea Work Boats

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

North Sea Work Boats

Post by RicM »

There's a discussion going on on The Hull Truth about Down East boats, Down East STYLE boats, and what makes a D/E boat. My contention is that Albin in neither, it was styled after North Sea work boats. I was looking for a good pic for comparison. I found this one but would welcome any others you might have. There's a remarkable resemblence to a 28 TE

Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I can't see the pictures (they're blocked at my office), but I would agree that Albins are modeled more after north sea workboats, than the "downeast" style. After all, their slogan is "In the North Sea Tradition".
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Here is a picture of a downeaster built by Wilbur. It looks more like an Albin than that ugly outboard motor boat above. Besides I just discovered the Downeaster Alexa Billy Joel song in the Bilge section and I want to keep enjoying the fantasy for a while.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Personally I can't really tell that much of a difference between a North Sea Workboat and a Down East Lobster boat.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I'm no expert, but I think the true difference is in the hull design, below the waterline and not in their appearance above the waterline. Seems I read somewhere that most true "downeast" boats have a more rounded chine and are more narrow beamed in relationship to their length.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

chiefrcd wrote:I'm no expert, but I think the true difference is in the hull design, below the waterline and not in their appearance above the waterline. Seems I read somewhere that most true "downeast" boats have a more rounded chine and are more narrow beamed in relationship to their length.
Yeah, that's about right Chief. I wasn't thinking too clearly.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Downeast Style

Post by RicM »

I guess this kind of confirms my contention that the Albin 28, 31, and 35 TE are downeast STYLE boats with pilot houses and large open decks, single engine diesel power etc. They are not downeast hulls however, which have a sharp entry, then flat toward the stern. Most lobster boats will have low freeboard for ease in swinging pots on and off, and some have the disquieting open transoms for moving trap strings on and off.

But don't be disheartened, Russell, the North Sea is about as far down East as you can get in the Atlantic!

Oh and Merry Christmas to all. I asked Santa for NavNet 3!
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here's a lobster boat for you!

Post by RicM »

Google images of Downeast Lobster boats. You'll see some interesting pictures....this is my favorite:

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/yacht ... lphin.html
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

:shock: lol, not really what I think of when I think Down East!!!
I'd take it though if someone gave it to me!!!
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Review

Post by RicM »

Did you read the review??!!! It has "vehicle parking" in the stern!!! For all those groaning about the tight areas working on your Albin, the engine ROOM has 6'4" overhead clearance for easy adjustments to the two 1522HP diesels! All this for only $4.7 Million!
Oh Santa PLEEZE!
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

All that and no rod holders?
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Here is what I think of when someone mentions a lobster boat.
By the way, what am I doing wrong on posting the pictures? How do you get the picture without the frame?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

That is also what I think of when someon says "lobster boat". Though I've never acutally seen one out here. All I've ever seen is the modern cruising-boat interpretation.

Question; is that his gear piled up on the ice next to the boat? What happens if the ice melts? I see open water just a few yards away. That ice can't possibly be thick enough to walk on, can it?

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”