• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Canvas needed, anyone selling original?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

Canvas needed, anyone selling original?

Post by Burton »

New to the site, not sure if it is okay to put "looking for" on this forum... hope so.

Our Albin 25 lacks both the top canvas over the helm, (has a leaking piece of plywood now), and lacks the canvas enclosure that covers the cockpit. Obviously, the aluminum frame won't ship, we can make one-- but it sure would be great to add to our boat the original canvas that many think needs improving. (When you don't have any canvas, the original design looks pretty good!) There is another Albin 25 owner up here who needs the top canvas over the helm, too. Has anyone done a hardtop and not need their old canvas? Please...?

Happy to pay what's right.

Thanks!

Burt Lowry
Surry, Maine
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Canvas needed, anyone selling original?

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Burt,

If you're at all handy I'd suggest finding a good used walking foot sewing machine, a Sailrite, Juki, Pfaff, commercial/industrial Singer, or Thompson Mini Walker and making your own canvas. You can always sell the sewing machine when you're done & recoup that cost. If you have the space to set up a large table for a sewing loft it's worth the effort. You can make it as simple or complex as you like once you have the type of frame bow you want. The opening over the helm would be fairly simple, a rectangle with seams along the edges & snaps to hold it in place. The Sailrite website has lots of how-to instructional videos on tricks of the trade, how to do patterning, installing zippers, etc, as well as source of Sunbrella fabric & other items needed.

Not just for roof & cockpit canvas, but window covers, curtains, interior cushions, grab rail covers, etc. You could save thousands of $$ on labor costs.

This is an example of Sailrite instructions including how to make patterns using their clear reinforced plastic "scrim' patterning material.

https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-a- ... mini-Video

0330151612.jpg
Here's an example of a nice job with a raised 2-bow frame on the Canadian boat "Transition".
DSCN1525.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Hi Burt,

DesertAlbin is right that you can save buckets doing your own work. A rectangle shouldn't be too hard. Of course, he makes it look easy because he has the skill. That being said, it was through doing the work that he gained the skill. He has done marvelous work to his boat.

I am planning to make my wheelhouse canvas after I get my forward cabin put back together. I'm waiting until I sew new cushion covers for the cabin bookshelves. Being a novice with a sewing machine, these cushion covers will be the fourth thing I've ever sewed with a machine. I'm wanting to get some experience before I tackle doing the long straight lines of the cover. The rest of the work is relatively easy. If you have a cutter for the grommets, they are a snap to install (pun intended). I just checked my invoice from Sailrite, and I spent less than $100 for the materials. I already had the grommet cutter, so figure another $15ish for that. I will post pictures and measurements of mine when I'm done. (maybe early June?)

FWIW, I lucked into a sewing machine that can do canvas at a garage sale for $5. It does not have a walking foot but it can stitch 2-3 layers of seatbelt-type webbing just fine.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

A rectangle shouldn't be too hard. Of course, he makes it look easy because he has the skill. That being said, it was through doing the work that he gained the skill. He has done marvelous work to his boat.
In all humbleness it was a lot of trial and error and learn-as-you-go. Don't think I could have done it without the help of those Sailrite 'tricks of the trade' how-to videos. How did we ever exist before YouTube? Don't look too close at my stitching, else you could tell it wasn't done by a pro.
FWIW, I lucked into a sewing machine that can do canvas at a garage sale for $5. It does not have a walking foot but it can stitch 2-3 layers of seatbelt-type webbing just fine.
Boy you did luck out! If it does handle canvas well you saved a bunch. If not you lost less than the cost of a frozen pizza. Finding a good walking foot or a heavy duty machine that can handle at least two or three layers of canvas for less than $300 is rare. It's like that time I found a 2008 vintage Kirby upright vacuum cleaner in perfect condition for $30 at the local Goodwill. Anyone familiar with what even refurbished used Kirbys let alone new ones go for knows what I'm talking about. Don't think the Goodwill people knew what they had. I paid $325 for this Thompson & thought I got a good deal compared to what similar Sailrite machines go for, since Sailrites are upgraded clones of the Thompsons.
00e0e_6PkOzXOfeKv_600x450.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:50 pm If not you lost less than the cost of a frozen pizza.
I'll have you know that I wait until the (store brand) frozen pizzas are 2/$5. Call me frugal. We top the plain ole cheese with homegrown basil and tomatoes and live high on the hog.
DesertAlbin736 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:50 pmDon't think the Goodwill people knew what they had.
I once purchased two JA Henkels 5 star knives for $10 at the local goodwill, a bread knife and a carver. That's less than 10% of what they would cost new, each. I'm a believer!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

I've got a cockpit cover in decent condition. Two covers came with our boat. One uses a pair of bows and extends aft far enough for the aft curtain is almost vertical with windows. The other is supported by a single bow and has no windows. That is the one we never use. I would like to keep the bow anyway doe use on a future project I have in mind.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

make last line read "for use on a future project."
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

A few suggestions with respect to a canvas cover, this is an improvement that can tremendously extend the living space on any boat if done well. In my opinion Albin did not achieve success with regards to this goal. The slope back is at best a rain cover. Take time to evaluate the camper back canvases on boats at several marinas to see how you might wish to configure one for your boat. Done right the payback in terms of utility is enormous.

Secondly, you do not need a high tech sewing machine or a lot of skills in order to sew one successfully. I crafted my first and only camper back using a 70's era Sears Kenmore sewing machine. With a little oil and maintenance it was up to the job. More important was the how-to book that became my bible - Canvas Work & Sail Repair, by Con Casey. The other important acquisition was a hot knife attachment for my soldering gun. Using a hot knife to cut the fabric reduces the need for additional folds in a seam and thereby reduces the build up of fabric layers where seams overlap. The camper back was for a 35' Chris Craft and turned out really well.

Thirdly, Albin could not have found a worse place to attach the diagonal brace to the cockpit coaming. It is exactly where one naturally enters the boat from alongside the float. I relocated this about 12" aft by forming a new brace out of 7/8" stainless tubing with a bend part way down that resulted in a vertical attachment point further aft on the coaming - problem solved. You can bend the tubing using a manual bending tool for 3/4" EMT electrical conduit which has the same outside diameter. The stainless tubing provides the necessary stiffness for this modification.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

Post by honza »

I would be much interested in hearing what is wrong with the "sunroof" wheel house cover as a design. Why so many people replace it with a hart top? Does rain water run under it? Thinking about it repeatedly, it looks to me like having some utility value, would let a lot of air in and that it would be nice to be able to stand up (also on the seat) and look over the windshield. Also, much better view when docking. Thou, its original main purpose most likely was the ability to see mainsail from the helm.

Could you please post some pictures, or detailed drawing, of how the original sunroof is made? I think, that the corner details and exact grommet locations could be of importance. I did some archeological exploring, but not finding enough. Or would anybody want to sell or donate an old one to be used as a muster? Anybody in Maine, or surroundings, who would like to show me and take pictures of his original one? Thank you.

Dkirsop, could you please post a picture of your cockpit covet brace modification? Again, I think that the strangely sloping humback cockpit cover had originally to do with the mainsheet - getting the brace corners out of its way.
Slow Poke A25 #1110
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I would be much interested in hearing what is wrong with the "sunroof" wheel house cover as a design. Why so many people replace it with a hart top? Does rain water run under it? Thinking about it repeatedly, it looks to me like having some utility value, would let a lot of air in and that it would be nice to be able to stand up (also on the seat) and look over the windshield. Also, much better view when docking. Though, its original main purpose most likely was the ability to see mainsail from the helm.
Remember, these boats were made in Sweden & designed & marketed for the Scandinavian climate, so the idea was to allow getting as much sun as possible, when possible during their short summer season. This bit of the Albin 25 story posted on the Albineers of BC web page. As the "Desert Albin" guy we're just the opposite. We get all the sun we need & then some, so shade is what we're after. The sail rig was and optional afterthought, so I doubt that was considered in the design. It was something marketed as a selling point in Albin brouchures.
20180721_195025.jpg
From the Albin history page on Albineers of BC club website:
The wheelhouse is prominent, with high windows and narrow pillars providing good all-round visibility from the bench seat at the helm. It has a roll-back roof, so the helmsman is not condemned to crouch in the shade while his passengers are enjoying the sun in the cockpit. Interestingly, the wheelhouse is secured to the deck moulding by screws, which suggests that it could be removed in its entirety, if required.
Dave writes:
Thirdly, Albin could not have found a worse place to attach the diagonal brace to the cockpit coaming. It is exactly where one naturally enters the boat from alongside the float. I relocated this about 12" aft by forming a new brace out of 7/8" stainless tubing with a bend part way down that resulted in a vertical attachment point further aft on the coaming - problem solved. You can bend the tubing using a manual bending tool for 3/4" EMT electrical conduit which has the same outside diameter. The stainless tubing provides the necessary stiffness for this modification.
Here's what Dave's (dkirsop) boat Sea Quill looks like, as seen at the 2019 BC Albineer rendezvous in Ladysmith and one of the nicest looking A25's around with an actual AD21 engine. He has a similar type pop up hard top as our boat had when we bought it, but trailering with it posed a real problem for us in keeping it form slamming open on the highway at 55-60 MPH speeds.
seaquill.jpg
"Transition" was another boat at that get together with similar canvas arrangement. The extra head room would be nice & the vertical angle at the back is better than the sloped angle of the factory original, but again, for us it's about optimizing for the sail rig. Also, keeping the height the same as the wheelhouse allows stowing an inflatable kayak over the roof. Also, like in the sales brochures, I can fold the canvas forward & completely open up the cockpit when out on the lake on a sunny fall/winter/early spring day down here.
20180621_191950.jpg
Plus, I like with mine that I can stand up at the helm & stick my head out through the open hatch.
Screen shot2.jpg
I suppose that's why you see so many different custom modifications tailored to individual tastes & needs. We kept the basic stock canvas configuration mainly because of the sail rig. Not that we use the sail rig much because we don't, but wanted to retain the option. So we've resigned ourselves to climbing in and out from over the aft cabin & got a 2 step folding step stool as a ladder. To me it's not that much different than climbing in from the side, but then I'm pretty limber for an old fart & don't have any issues with bad knees & back.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

honza wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:21 am
Dkirsop, could you please post a picture of your cockpit covet brace modification? Again, I think that the strangely sloping humback cockpit cover had originally to do with the mainsheet - getting the brace corners out of its way.
Here are some pictures. The canvas cover was professionally done by the previous owner and is a perfect fit for me. I limited my work to tweaking the diagonal brace.
Canopy1.jpg
I located the bend so the vertical portion would align with the zipper. The stainless tubing is 7/8" dia. 316 Stainless.
Canopy2.jpg
Where the frame attached to the coaming I used a bimini mount with a curved base
Canopy3.jpg
I reused most of the original fittings and kept the original remaining aluminum tubes
Starboard Side.jpg
A starboard side overview
Aft.jpg
Aft view
Hull No. 1013, 1971

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”