• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 SC NO ENGINE -- Choices?

Albin's "power cruisers"
allante
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Amesbury Ma

A27 SC NO ENGINE -- Choices?

Post by allante »

I recently came across an 1985 A27 Sport Cruiser. It is considered a project as it doesnt have an engine.

Any recommendations as to what engine to install and at what cost?
Not sure I would want to take this on?

thanx
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: A27 SC NO ENGINE -- Choices?

Post by nebulatech »

No idea on engine or cost for that boat, but the cost to do a new 36hp Beta Marine (recommended motor for an A25) is about $12k-$15k. That boat needs something in the 75hp-ish range, so probably $15k - $20k for new? There are many rebuilt diesels out there, just keep in mind that refitting a different motor drives up the cost due to mounts, shaft alignment, new prop, exhaust modifications, controls etc. Is there any way to find out what motor was previously installed? If you could find a rebuilt replacement, you may be in a better place financially.

The title or other paperwork may contain info on the motor, even the hp might help. Are the controls still at the helm?

For a boat with no motor, the price needs to be close to free unless it has a trailer. If it doesn't, that's another $2k-$4k you'll spend.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

How handy are you? If you can do it yourself it gives you many options. If not, it will be spendy.
allante
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Amesbury Ma

Post by allante »

nebulatech wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:39 pm No idea on engine or cost for that boat, but the cost to do a new 36hp Beta Marine (recommended motor for an A25) is about $12k-$15k. That boat needs something in the 75hp-ish range, so probably $15k - $20k for new? There are many rebuilt diesels out there, just keep in mind that refitting a different motor drives up the cost due to mounts, shaft alignment, new prop, exhaust modifications, controls etc. Is there any way to find out what motor was previously installed? If you could find a rebuilt replacement, you may be in a better place financially.

The title or other paperwork may contain info on the motor, even the hp might help. Are the controls still at the helm?

For a boat with no motor, the price needs to be close to free unless it has a trailer. If it doesn't, that's another $2k-$4k you'll spend.
They are asking $5k. Ive read good things about the Beta. Im going to find out what was in it previously.
thanx
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Just throwing out a WAG, but a rebuilt Ford Lehman, either 4 cylinder 60 HP 4D61, 90 HP 2722, or a 120 HP 6 cylinder if it would physically fit would seem to be be good candidates. If it weren't for the fact that the SC model is rare it would be better to keep looking. Wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on it & wave a low ball offer of quick cash & see how motivated the seller is.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Allante, you didn't say if it had a trailer or not, how far you would have to move it or if you have a place and desire to work on it.

I forgot to mention earlier, but swapping an engine also involves some sort of crane, whether it is brought to you or if you bring the boat to one. If you're comfortable hauling, a trailer is a good investment.

I picked up my A25 for next to nothing, but I'm doing a complete restoration and repower, so for me, the boat really had to be close to free. If the boat is immaculate, that's definitely worth something ( I write as I stand in the cockpit taking a break from sanding and scraping ). A used or rebuilt diesel may be around $4k - $6k for your hp range. Even with the associated installation costs you could come out on top.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
EZC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey mooring

Post by EZC »

I just put in an Isuzu 4jg1T that is 85hp and am very pleased. Very good fuel economy over the previous Nissan ld28. Sits a little lower in the bilge and seems to handle better also. Starts at about 13000.00.
PonusNick
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stamford, CT

Post by PonusNick »

I recently looked over a 27 SC that was available in Connecticut...my intention was to go electric. Perhaps I missed an opportunity, but I let it go. Did quite a bit of research on electric...ELCO offers a complete kit at about 50 HP in the $12,000 range. There are pros and cons to electric vs. diesel...do your own math. But electric makes your boat a four season craft...something I've always wanted.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

If you can do your own work, check out Thunderstruck EV:
https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/

They seem to be the most reasonably priced. I'm currently working with them. Yesterday we determined that a 10kw motor was what I need for an A25. The 72 volt 18kw system won't be worth it to push up to 10 knots because it will only go at that speed for about 15 minutes with typical batteries. You can see the prices on the kits, but I would think for an A27, the 18kw or the next step up would be right. You're looking at less than half ELCO prices, unless you use lithium batteries, which I think is a bad choice given their fire hazard and the more viable solid state tech that's on the horizon in the next few years.

For what you save over the ELCO, you could buy a genset, which is my long term plan.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
SkipRocks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Augustine, FL

Post by SkipRocks »

The previous owner of my 85 A27 SC installed a Volvo Penta TAMD31 4 cyl. It's rated at 150 hp at 3800 RPM. I've never been to 3800 rpm with this engine though. At 2800 RPM it cruises at an even 10 kts. At 3400 that I've visited once or twice it gets really loud and bumps the speed up to 11.5 kts. I don't know the exact year, but these were produced in the 90's up to about 2002. The one in my A27 was manufactured in 2001.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”