• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Trailering

Albin's "power cruisers"
PonusNick
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stamford, CT

A27 Trailering

Post by PonusNick »

Any members out there that trailer their A27?

I'd very much like to know the manufacturer / model of a trailer that can handle an A27?

Been using a local yard to haul, store and commission...it's getting expensive.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: A27 Trailering

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I'm sure there are many out there depending on where you live. One the west coast there's Pacific Trailers in the Los Angeles area. If you're looking for a yard trailer & not something good enough for long distance over the road trips, checking local CL and other classifieds for something used that's suitable for adapting to the A27 might be the way to go. New trailers aren't cheap either.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Randall
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: North fort myers,fl

Post by Randall »

On this site there is an earlier posting suggesting Loadmaster in Ohio had the specifications on file to build an A27 trailer.

Randall
1986 Alblin 27 "Meridian"
North Fort Myers, Fl.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

I've got a 30' aluminum trailer that I found (cheap) through a local advertisement. In the next few weeks I'll be modifying it to fit our A27. Most of the trailers I've seen for these boats use multiple rows of bunks to support the hull, but nothing under the keel, I don't know why? I plan to put a full length support under the keel, and single bunks on both sides to support the hull.

I don't trust my aluminum welding, so the bunk supports will be steel tubes with flanges bolted to the trailer beams. This trailer was (I think) built for a Cigarette-type boat, so the three axles are way in the back. That would make for very high tongue weight with one of our boats, so I'm moving the axles forward.

It's an odd trailer, with coil torsion Linco axles (those are great) and fat 10" wheels. Those wheels make the whole unit very low, and they would be busy at highway speeds, so I might replace them with bigger ones.

I'd love to see pictures of any and all A27 trailers posted here for ideas...

Tom
Mainer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Mainer »

I looked into having one built a couple of years ago but was a bit stunned at the price (somewhere around $6-8 grand). I found the storage and stand rental was the larger cost, so I bought used stands, got the hauler to take the boat to our home and plunk it in our driveway where it now sits for every winter/spring. Bringing it to our home and picking it up for launching costs an additional $30 each way, and I'm saving around $1,000 a year in storage fees. But the convenience of winterization, bottom painting and launch preparation in the driveway is a wonderful additional benefit.
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

For a quality new trailer with a GVW of at least 10,000lbs, brakes and even just bunks I would think that 6 to 8 grand would be a bargain indeed. I would imagine that $10k would be nearer the mark. But often a heavy old cabin cruiser sitting on a strong trailer will go for half that. And you still have the boat to sell for a small amount. Those bargains seem harder to find now though.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

I'll second motthediesel. I also picked up a 3 year old 30' aluminum trailer cheap. I ended up calling some trailer shops around town and they were selling one for a client of theirs. He was building a new trailer for around $6k for a 24' fishing boat. I needed to repair the brakes and lights, add a keel board and some other adjustments for my initial haul. My boat is sitting on the bunks, still needs modification for my A25. When it's all done, should still be dramatically under the cost of a new trailer, maybe 30%?
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

I did some Googling for "Albin trailer" and I found this one. This is someone converting a steel, triple axle Cobalt trailer for a A-27. They have added a support for the keel, and then bunks on the sides, just about what I have in mind.

Read the post here:

http://alwayslingerawhile.blogspot.com/ ... art-1.html

Tom
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Tom,
That's the right idea, keel support & adjustable height bunks. Issues of concern I see with that particular trailer, based on our experience, are primarily with the narrowness of the keel support board & getting the boat centered over it as well as clearance for prop & rudder as the keel tapers downward. Also the bunks need enough range of adjustment to follow the shape of the hull.

On our particular aluminum trailer, which has been pictured in other posts, the square box channel bunk supports are galvanized steel and clamp on to the aluminum frame cross members. Also the keel supports are rollers, not a board but either would work. Our trailer is 21 years old with a lot of road miles racked up & while rust is not an issue metal fatigue cracking has been. Over 6 years I've spent over $5,000 in repairs on the trailer, $5,388 to be exact, $1,890 of that on frame welding, the rest on brakes, tires, hub service, wiring, & various other normal maintenance items, but I guess that's better than $10K for a new one. Would add that our tandem axle trailer is 6,000 lbs GVWR capacity and we're right at that limit, so an A27 would definitely need a triple axle trailer and heavy duty tires.

A reply on that blog you linked to mentioned Lake Powell. All this time we've had our boat we've only had it on Lake Powell once very briefly on the way home from picking up from the previous owner's place in Idaho in 2014. Briefly because there were some issues with the way the raw water strainer was set up & had a crack in the sight glass & wouldn't prime the pump properly so we only got as far as Wahweap marina from the ramp when we overheated. So we spent a night at the marina and limped back to the ramp the next day and haven't returned since even though it's only 5 hours away and we pass through Page, AZ each time on the way north to Washington. Maybe this fall will be the year to try Powell since COVID has quashed our plans for going back east. Summers are too hot up on Powell, but October should be nice. I was there in July, 1983 when it hit 116 degrees.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

I just used a old construction flatbed trailer. Probably have $900.00 in it. I just haul it back and fourth twice a year. I put two more supports in the outside middle. The keel is supported. The boat is loaded on and off with trail lift.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Sprig,

That's a workable solution, but I want to be able to ramp launch our boat. We've got a 4WD Dodge/Cummins 3500, so it's not too scary a thought.

DA,

I'm sure you're disappointed to have to change your trip plans, but Lake Powell is a great destination as well. We have boated there twice while travelling out west with our Avion coach. Both times we were there in March, and while it was cool, we had the lake to ourselves. We had some engine difficulties due to the altitude, but still got plenty of time on the water. Just day trips in our Grumman Sportboat car topper, but still, we ranged as much as 20 miles from the Wahweap launch, spectacular scenery! The water was very low there in '19, it was odd to boat on water 20' lower than just the year before -- I'm not sure what the level is like now.

Tom
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

Nice dogs! Doesn't look like they're duckhunters.
20200427_074031.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
PonusNick
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stamford, CT

Post by PonusNick »

Thanks for the ideas, Mates. In the meantime I've been in touch with Loadmaster. They have a design for the A27 and it will be about $8 grand. Got the boat in the water over the weekend so I've got the season to figure it out. Yard rates went up this year so it won't take long for the investment to pay off. But worse, I got stuck behind two larger boats that weren't as motivated to commission as I was.
obertra9
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cincinnati, Ohio

Post by obertra9 »

In 2011 I bought a standard 3 axle trailer (10,500 lb total capacity) new from Venture for $4000. Here is the link for a 2020 trailer https://www.diamondmarine.net/New-Inven ... ut-5418534. It will need the following modifications which you can do yourself. A 2x12 keel board for the center of the boat with other boards beneath it to stiffen. The bunks need to be removed completely then refastened with a significant rake and 45 degree stiffening hardware to keep the bunk in place laterally. I also have 4 screw jack supports that I crank up after the boat is on shore (belt and suspenders). You will need a good heavy duty tongue jack, Ventures will last a couple of years if you baby it. The 4 surge brakes, 3 axles, and tongue hardware are adequate. If you go this route I have pictures with the A27 on and off the trailer. See my for sale by owner pictures of my A27SC on AOG. I have towed roughly 4000 miles with a 3/4 ton 4x4. I feel safe at 60mph. The boat is on the trailer each winter. My trailer is for sale for $3000 but only after I find a buyer for the boat. Located in Cincinnati, Ohio and will deliver the boat anywhere within a 1000 mile radius for $1per mile.
Roger A. Obert
1990 Albin 27 SC
Solitude II
Cincinnati, Ohio

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”