• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Still shopping

Albesaurus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Connecticut

Still shopping

Post by Albesaurus »

I’m new to the group only posting an intro in the past. I am still looking for the right 28 TE. I’ve learned a lot looking at 6 so far but it’s coming down to decision time.... I have narrowed it down to a 1998, 2000 and 2002. All non-flush deck. Couple of major differences are hours on engine, brand of engine and transom door or not. Also one has fresh Algrip while the other needs it bad. Still another does not have a colored hull so no issue there.

So my questions or need for opinions...

-Is it crazy to add a transom door on a a model that did not come with that option? Really like the transom door.
-What are your opinions on the differences between the 315 yanmar or the Cummins 6tba 330? I have read the Cummins is a bigger displacement engine, less efficient and lasts many more hours. Also parts are super cheap compared to Yanmar. But also heard there may be a really bad flaw in the design of the exhaust for Albin’s with the Cummins 330. The turbo can get seawater in because it’s not high enough above the water line. I have search this site and others for more info on this but can’t determine if all Albin 28te with this engine have this issue. Please give me your opinions on this as well as directing me to some more info on this.

I’ve been out of boating a long time so my experience is really dated.

Nick
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Re: Still shopping

Post by Jkraft »

I’ll try to chime in here. I have an 02 and like you had been trying to make these decisions also. I went with the 02 engine box with the transom door and a 315 yanmar. I wanted the 02 because there are no wooden stringers in the boat. Secondly mine has the transom door and i couldn’t imagine adding one. I would think it would be cheaper to awlgrip your hull than it would be to add the door.

I have the 315 yanmar and like it. Make sure the one you are looking at is maintained, otherwise expenses to make it right will add up fast. Cummins are nice also but I’ve heard they are noisey. I have not been on one first hand. My 315 is very quiet on my boat.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

In Florida I could not live without the transom door and swim platform.
No idea how much it would cost to add after the fact, guessing $7-8k, perhaps $10k. W.A.G.
As for hull color: Before I found my bride I was looking for a Navy Blue hull with red bottom paint, sexy New England colors.
Bought my tub 2.5 years ago and got used to the all vanilla gel coat color, especially after a $20k estimate to paint the hull Navy Blue.
(Fort Lauderdale prices, Mega Yacht Country. :shock: )
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

I have an '05 flushdeck with the transom door and Yanmar 315. For us, this is the sweetest setup we could ask for. As for creating a transom door in a boat that doesn't have one, I would say learn to live with climbing over the transom because it would be quite expensive to do a proper job of installing one.
Nancy's Promise
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Keyport NJ

Post by Nancy's Promise »

I was in the same situation as you 3 years ago. I bought a 2004 flush deck with a Yanmar 315. I love the boat. I would say you need a transom door. In my marina we have to back into our slips. The door makes it easy for everyone to get on. Even my 93 year old mother.
Albesaurus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Connecticut

Post by Albesaurus »

Just signed on 2002, engine box, yanmar with transom door. Survey is Monday....
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

Congrats! I’ve got the identical boat. If you need any help or info feel free to reach out
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Albesaurus wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:09 am Just signed on 2002, engine box, yanmar with transom door. Survey is Monday....
Congratulations .. I had an '02 engine box with a Cummins 6BTA.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Nancy's Promise
Gold Member
Gold Member