• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 transmission seal leak part B

Albin's "power cruisers"
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: A27 transmission seal leak part B

Post by dkirsop »

If you are into kitchen chemistry see if the white stuff goes back into solution when placed in a glass of sea water. It may be this is residue that has collected over the years as a result of the sea water evaporating during the extended periods of dry land storage.

Are you sure your shaft was bronze and not Monel? To an untrained eye both appear similar but Monel is a special steel alloy that does not corrode in salt water and is stronger and stiffer than stainless.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Re: A27 transmission seal leak part B

Post by Ambler27FC »

On the white powder, and these are guesses here:

If there was water flowing over the area, it could be calcium build-up. From diving, most (including non metallic) objects I recover have calcium on them. Vinegar and water would clear it up, but would check the bearing compatibility first.

Shouldn’t be any Aluminum around the shaft, but aluminum oxide is also a fine white powder.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”