• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuse block above battery switch

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fuse block above battery switch

Post by jms02050 »

Found this melted wire on what I'm assuming is a fuse block above my Perko switch. It was too cold to start tracing wires so thought I'd ask in the hopes that someone has the same set up. I'm not familiar with this type of block - is it actually a fuse? Any guesses on where the melted wire comes from/goes to?
42LAxYW8To+LeAbWata1bA.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Fuse block above battery switch

Post by Tree »

Should be the fuse for your bow thruster.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Looks like the lead to the possible bow thruster is underneath the fuse tang. Thus all the current on the output bus strip is going through the smaller surface area of the thruster tang. Oops. Or it may have vibrated loose, or the crimp is weak. Good catch as you don't want it to get worse. Low voltage, high current requires vigilance.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Looks to me that the lug attached to the wire is the wrong type and size. It requires a heavy crimp battery terminal type properly matched to the cable size and current draw. I expect the undersized connection is your problem.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Yup, did some reading and pretty sure that terminal should not be under the fuse - being there causes resistance which equals heat. Gotta say, as the second owner and being familiar with the previous owner I think it's highly likely it came from the factory like this.

What I really wish for is a more detailed wiring diagram(s) in addition to the standard diagram in the factory manual.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

So that fuse is wired come off the common terminal on the Perko switch (1-2-ALL). So it appears that the factory (I'm assuming) used one side of the thruster fuse block as a poor man's bus bar. Wondering if there are other setups - meaning what do most folks have coming off the common terminal on the switch? A bus bar?
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle

Return to “Albin Maintenance”