• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cutless Bearing Replacement Schedule

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Cutless Bearing Replacement Schedule

Post by Paddy »

1100 hours since I replaced it at the time of purchase back in 6/13. The marina I bought it from and even my surveyor said the existing bearing was fine but for peace of mind, I had it replaced (first inboard). Now, the boat is on the hard and I suggested to the marina that it should be replaced. They took a 2x4 and checked for play...nothing. Is there a recommended replacement schedule for them?

Also, can I get a quick price check for those who had the bearing replaced on a 28?

Thanks
2004 28TE
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Re: Cutless Bearing Replacement Schedule

Post by cdsailor »

Rob,

I think there are too many factors to rely solely on a replacement schedule. If the boat's out of the water and you don't plan to haul for a long time, then maybe it makes sense to swap the bearing now. I suggest a bit of reading and working with a reputable yard or inspector - whose assessment you trust. Combine that with your own judgment and future plans, and I suspect you'll know the answer.

This is a worthwhile read and may help you decide: https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/cutl ... iquette-2/

Regards,
David
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

The Albin is a slow RPM shaft installation. If all is aligned well and only ran when submerged your cutless bearing will last a very long time. If there is no side play in the shaft at the bearing it is good to go.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

How do you check for excessive play using a 2x4? Beat it to death? LOL
Usually you just grab the prop and wiggle it to see if there is clearance. I suppose you could use a dial indicator, but I think most yards and mechanics just wiggle the shaft.
I replaced one in a Chris Craft that had lots of play. It "clinked" when I moved the shaft.
I replaced one in my Mainship, but I had the stern tube off for a re-alignment and a new shaft (upgrade to Aquamet). Old one was still fine after 9 years.
My Albin was replaced 2 years before I bought it and I've had it 14 seasons and it's still fine.
It all depends. As long as you're aligned and you don't drag it thru the sand or wrap a line it should last a very long time.

But then again I never let my truck or car tires wear down to the indicator bars so to each his/her own.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

Its snug, they did grab it every which way but also wedged the wood under and lifted. Zero play. The cost of a short haul mid-season is $300 alone, so my peace of mind theory is kicking in. Depends on what fun Long Island rate they throw at me. The selling dealer in CT did it as part of the sale, cant imagine its more than a few hundred?
2004 28TE
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

Rob,

I kind of agree with the peace of mind theory although a fair bit of disassembly is required to get the shaft out of these boats so expect you bill to be mostly labor, the bearings are cheap in comparison.

My 27's driveline is all pulled apart at the moment as I need to replace my transmission damper plate. Prop off, PSS disassembled, shaft coupler pulled off, transmission removed and sent out for seals and friction material replacement, engine jacked up over rear engine mounts and bell housing removed. All that just to gain access to the damn plate...

Having gone this far, I would feel silly putting it all back together when dropping the rudder is all that stands in the way of getting shaft out to do the cutlass bearing. I have a bill from my PO from 12 years ago when it was last replaced; $700. That got the rudder dropped, prop pulled, shaft coupler and shaft removed from boat, new cutlass and back together. Again, that was a 27 and also 12 years ago. Not sure if the rudder needs to come out of a 28 to allow the shaft to come out. I'd guess $1000 should get the job done reasonably, then again you can't get much fixed on a boat for less than that....

Good luck!
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

TorreyWP wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:45 am Not sure if the rudder needs to come out of a 28 to allow the shaft to come out.
Nope. Just the lower rudder shoe bolts so the rudder can be tweaked over a tad and the shaft slides right out passed it. But to do the cutlass there is no reason to pull the shaft either. Just the prop and then the two bolts holding the bearing housing to the skeg. A simple DIY job to remove the housing and take it to get a new bearing pressed into it if you don't have a press.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

I get it now Rob S, thanks.

Thats a very slick set up you 28 owners have!

Jealous...
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

I thought the same but was hoping other 28 owners would chime in. The selling marina did supply the old parts, including the cutless bearing, which got me wondering if it even came off my boat based on amount work Torrey described for the 27. Glad its a bit easier to replace and they most likely did the work!

Thanks all for your feedback.
2004 28TE
Hattsoff
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Wareham ma

Post by Hattsoff »

Anybody have any pictures of removing the cutless bearing?

Thanks Mike
Hattsoff
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Wareham ma

Post by Hattsoff »

Do you need to remove the shaft or rudder to remove the cutless bearing

Thanks Mike
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Hattsoff wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:14 pm Do you need to remove the shaft or rudder to remove the cutless bearing

Thanks Mike
Mike, did you read Rob's post earlier in this thread?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987

Return to “Albin Maintenance”