• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Issue with Bow Thruster 28TE

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

briliz197
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm City

Issue with Bow Thruster 28TE

Post by briliz197 »

Hello,

My name is Brian and I am new to the forum. I am having an issue with the shear pin in my SidePower bow thruster. Wanting to know if anyone is able to tell me where the shear pin access is located so I can repair and/or replace. Thanks in advance.

-Brian
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Re: Issue with Bow Thruster 28TE

Post by furball »

Brian,
Not knowing what model boat or thruster you have I can only give you a guest. My thruster on both the 28 and the 31 have a sheer pin behind the prop. Remove the nut and washer on the prop and slide them forward off the shaft. The sheer pin runs through the shaft behind the prop. You may want to check the coupling between the motor shaft and the lower unit. You should be able to check that without hauling the boat.
Good luck

John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Perhaps not the same, but the Sidepower shear pin on a friends Regal 36 could be changed from inside, under the v-berth.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
briliz197
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm City

Post by briliz197 »

:lol:
furball wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:18 pm Brian,
Not knowing what model boat or thruster you have I can only give you a guest. My thruster on both the 28 and the 31 have a sheer pin behind the prop. Remove the nut and washer on the prop and slide them forward off the shaft. The sheer pin runs through the shaft behind the prop. You may want to check the coupling between the motor shaft and the lower unit. You should be able to check that without hauling the boat.
Good luck

John
John....Thank you for your reply. My boat is an Albin 28 TE 2000 and I'm sure the thruster is the same vintage. Can,t believe I may have to haul my boat to change the shear pin as my last boat was a.Mainship 30 with a
Vetus and it was a simple job with the boat still in the water. We will see. Of course it had to happen on the weekend.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

briliz197 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:33 pm Hello,

My name is Brian and I am new to the forum. I am having an issue with the shear pin in my SidePower bow thruster. Wanting to know if anyone is able to tell me where the shear pin access is located so I can repair and/or replace. Thanks in advance.

-Brian
As you can see from the responses, we really need to know the model to accurately help you. Open up the cabin bow hatch cover and take a look. You should be able to identify your thruster by doing this. Pictures are always helpful.

A john / Furball as said, some thrusters have drive shaft propeller pins accessed from behind the propeller, some have coupling sheer pins accessed from above and inside of the boat and some have both. Without a model number to reference a schematics drawing it is impossible to accurately guide you.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southern California

Post by Tom Un »

Sidepower shear pin is located under the motor - very easy to change - Imtramarine sells them - they even have a video on YouTube showing how to change it.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”