• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

31 TE Raw Water Seacock

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mark Laurnen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes, WA

31 TE Raw Water Seacock

Post by Mark Laurnen »

Happy Holidays to all of you! I have a 31 TE stored dry out of state, no easy access. I would like to add Groco Engine Flush Kits (MPN: L-24-SSC200 ?) above the two seawater intake seacocks. This would be for winterizing flushes, and for hopefully unnecessary emergency bilge pumping capability. Do any of you have experience with this fitting? Do any of you know the diameter of the hoses from the seacocks to the factory Groco strainers? My recollection would have me guess that they are 2” diameter, but I would appreciate confirmation or correct information. Also, if I have the size right, these units are presently available on eBay for $150 apiece. That price seems reasonable to me unless someone can suggest a better source. As always, I am very appreciative of all your combined experience and wisdom! Thank you.

PS (My limited experience) “Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment “.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: 31 TE Raw Water Seacock

Post by Pitou »

What engines do you have?
It's tough making a guess, but I would say at least 2 1/2" intake.
Offhand I'd say that my single Cummins with Groco ARG Series strainer is 2 1/2 and very possibly 3". I'll check my records on the intake hose that I replaced from seacock to strainer.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Mark Laurnen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mark Laurnen »

Thank you Kevin. I’m running twin Yanmar 6LPA. I know ( don’t ask how) that it’s a 2” hose on the outlet side of the the water pump and I believe the input hose, from the strainer, is the same. My recollection is that the input and output at the strainer is also the same so I’m deducing 2” at the seacock as well. My difficulty is parts and time availability at the storage location. I have cursed myself when I made the trip with incorrect components. I’ve followed your many posts ... might be communicating in the future about trolling valves. I could happily spend a vacation just working on the boat, but my smarter half actually wants to use it.
loganmj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Post by loganmj »

I just replaced the water supply lines on my 2000 35TE with twin Cummins 6BTA's and from seacock to strainer is 2.5", from strainer to water pump is 2".

I'm intrigued by the flushing ports you list in the post. I have been researching freshwater flush options for my boat...

PS - If your boat is indeed in Anacortes, and you need someone to put eyes on your water intake hoses, I do make it to Anacortes occasionally and would be happy to stop in and send you some pics if it helped (I live in Bellingham).
Mike and Shannon
Tonic
2000 Albin 35TE (galley up, no FB)
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370's
Mark Laurnen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mark Laurnen »

Thank you Mike! That is very helpful advice. I might take you up on your offer, the boat is at Pacific Marine Center. Did I meet you at Roche Harbor back in August? Happy Holidays!
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

You meet the nicest people on an Albin! (Sorry Honda.)
loganmj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Post by loganmj »

Mark Laurnen wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:38 pm …. Did I meet you at Roche Harbor back in August? Happy Holidays!
Mark-
I'm terrible with names but yes, I'm pretty sure you did... We were on our way back from a week in the Gulf Islands, you were on the shore side of the G dock, we were on the other side... Small world!
Offer stands, just let me know.
Mike
Mike and Shannon
Tonic
2000 Albin 35TE (galley up, no FB)
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370's
Bluewater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Burnt Store Marina, Punta Gorda, FL

Re: 31 TE Raw Water Seacock - and 28 TE

Post by Bluewater »

I know that this thread is about the 31 TE raw water flush, but I’m interested in putting one on my 28. I thought about putting a hose bib and valve on top of the RW strainer under the starboard aft cockpit sole hatch - but top clearance looks tight. Has anyone successfully put a flush system in a 28?
David
Albin 28TE 2000
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Ex Albin 28TE 1994 Peninsular 300
Ex Albin 43 (Lehman) and many sailboats
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Here's a link to a very recent article at Seaboard Marine on how to setup a freshwater flush:

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/the-bene ... f16a7cef15
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Bluewater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Burnt Store Marina, Punta Gorda, FL

Post by Bluewater »

Kevin - excellent article. Thank you.
David
Albin 28TE 2000
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Ex Albin 28TE 1994 Peninsular 300
Ex Albin 43 (Lehman) and many sailboats
Mark Laurnen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mark Laurnen »

Happy New Year to all! Groco confirmed that my ARG 2000 strainers are indeed 2” inlet and 2” outlet. David, I also looked at the replaceable strainer caps with the hose adapter built in. The manufacturer states that these are to be used for engine flushing only, not to be left permanently in place. One distinct advantage of the bronze Groco flush adapter is the ability to use the motor as a high capacity emergency bilge pump as a last resort. This adapter is just above the through hull seacock, and any bilge water sucked through it will still be filtered by the strainer prior to being passed through the engine cooling system. The fitting on top of the strainer could also be used as an emergency bilge pump, but you can imagine how deep the water would need to be before it could be taken up, and it would pass unfiltered directly into the engine’s water pump. I suppose a low hanging short hose, with a strainer attached, could be hung into the bilge from the top mounted adapter cover, but I think the resistance of this constriction would limit the maximum flow which might be a disadvantage in a bilge flooding emergency. I plan to go with the Groco adapter and hope that I never use it beyond engine flushing and wintering!
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Raw Water Seacock

Post by Pitou »

Glad that you got this figured out. Seawater intake is more specific to engine needs than the boat. My 31TE with a single Cummins QSC 500 has a Groco 3020 - S strainer at 3" for inlet and tapered down to 2 1/2" at its outlet.

The Groco flush is definately a premier way to go. Here are a couple of recent links to a discussions on winterization and fresh water flushing on the Seaboard forum:

https://www.sbmar.com/community/topic/w ... ng-480-ce/

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/the-bene ... el-engine/
Last edited by Pitou on Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Nancy's Promise
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Keyport NJ

Post by Nancy's Promise »

I just drilled and taped the cap and installed a fitting with a cap. For under $10.00
F0CD2AB2-9FF7-4950-897C-0BD38FE5AE0B.jpeg
DFA37E09-97C9-4814-9208-81A234E852DE.jpeg
685F4BED-285D-436F-9E01-BE96EDDDCAAD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Carl wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:47 pm https://www.proboat.com/2012/07/beware-the-brass/

Please read this.
I was thinking the same .. boat sinks and claim denied.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Albin Maintenance”