• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Algae X - AXI LG-X Inline Magnetic Fuel Conditioner

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Algae X - AXI LG-X Inline Magnetic Fuel Conditioner

Post by MadMoney »

Winter is here which always has me looking at what small upgrades can I do to my 1999 28' Albin. My Yanmar engine has just over 3,400 hours now and has been very dependable but I do get a soot residue on the hull near the exhaust. My filters are changed twice a year and have been in good shape.

Does anyone have the Algae X Magnetic Fuel conditioner installed? If so, what's your opinion on this product? I did a search on this site and found a few responses from several years ago so I'm hoping to get some more recent intel. The cost is somewhat minimal which is appealing but does it work??

I also searched The Hull Truth and found a mixed bag of reviews - shocker! ;)

Thanks!

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin MadMoney
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Algae X - AXI LG-X Inline Magnetic Fuel Conditioner

Post by jleonard »

I probably gave my opinion then so I won't again.
Diesel engines have soot in their exhaust. When mixed with the cooling water it splashes on the hull sometimes more than others because of the "station wagon effect" that causes the exhaust to blow back against the transom (or on the rear window of a station wagon, remember those?).
2 professional boat detailers told me to not wax the transom and it will clean off easier. The soot attacks the wax and gets imbedded and is hard to clean out. At least that was their theory.

I rarely get soot on my transom. Not because my exhaust is "clean", but because I don't go fast enough to get the station wagon effect.

Rob S WILL comment on this I have no doubt. Go ahead Rob I can take it LOL
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I get soot - usually only in the summer when air and water temps are high. I do know I need an inter cooler service as I’ve just fitted a boost gauge and was able to inspect the intercooler stack with a bore scope while I was at it. I’ve been overcoming the “problem” by adding a fuel additive that kills diesel bug but enhances cetane levels. It’s a short term fix until I get a chance to pull the intercooler stack. I’d say once I’ve done this my summer time spot issue will go away. Oh I also fitted a Walker Airsep filter last summer which reduced the soot massively. The increased airflow is a good indication the stack needs cleaning.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jleonard wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:49 pm I rarely get soot on my transom. Not because my exhaust is "clean", but because I don't go fast enough to get the station wagon effect.
For sure no drafting or slipstreaming behind AA ...... but I think you don't get soot on the transom because you're barely burning any fuel !
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
PeterYOW
Mate
Mate
Home Port: FLL

Post by PeterYOW »

I used to work for a Canadian government research organization. In conversation with people who worked in the "Fuels and Lubes" section, they said any fuel conditioner/magnetizer/aligner they EVER tested were a waste of money. Completely your call but I wouldn't. Put your money toward engine and filter maintenance.
Biocides are NOT a waste of money.
pavallier
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Stuart, Florida USA

Post by pavallier »

Put one on my boat 15 years ago....wasn’t expensive so while the science sounded bogus, it seemed to me that interposing magnets in my fuel line couldn’t hurt...and it might catch any ferrous particles before they hit to injectors. In any case, my Nissan LD28 is working fine.

One question though: where might I purchase replacement rubber isolation engine mounts for this engine?
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Try "Rockauto.com. I get most of my LD28 parts from them. If they don't have the mounts, numerous others will do the job. Just go to a NAPA store with one of the old ones. Ben

Return to “Albin Maintenance”