• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Stainless Exhaust Elbow - Yanmar

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Stainless Exhaust Elbow - Yanmar

Post by Jkraft »

Hi all, I am looking for a source from the stainless exhaust elbow for my 315 yanmar. Is HDI the one to go to? At the Chestertown rendezvous I was told to go to the guy on ebay. If that is the best source can someone send me a link? I want to make sure I go to the right one.

Thanks!
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
thomaslong
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Orleans

Re: Stainless Exhaust Elbow - Yanmar

Post by thomaslong »

I ordered the entire kit from them earlier this year that included the gaskets, jacket and everything needed for the installation. The cost was less than what my boatyard said they could get in iron at wholesale. The folks at HDI are great and make a great product.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

thomaslong wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:21 pm I ordered the entire kit from them earlier this year that included the gaskets, jacket and everything needed for the installation. The cost was less than what my boatyard said they could get in iron at wholesale. The folks at HDI are great and make a great product.
THANK YOU!!! That is what I wanted to hear.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

So, for a boat that is being used in brackish water on the Chesapeake is it worth it to get the whole kit for 900 or just the mixing elbow for 400?
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

The dry elbow is the one that fails and breaks. Replace them both and never look back.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Even imported to the UK with import tax, VAT the entire kit was cheaper than the dry elbow from yanmar here. As a precision engineer I can say this is really well made. I ended up selling in my mixing elbow as removing the old one was turning out to be a complete pig. I’ve got the dry elbow, heat wrap and heat shield installed on my engine fitted to mine. The sale of the mixing elbow on eBay almost paid for the entire kit so I’m a happy bunny.

One thing worth doing - when you install the gaskets, use some exhaust paste on the faces to get a really good seal first time. Otherwise you may not get a good seal and lose exhaust gas resulting in an under performing turbo due to loss of boost pressure.

Hopefully I’m installing my boost gauge this weekend to confirm this.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

thomaslong wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:21 pm I ordered the entire kit from them earlier this year that included the gaskets, jacket and everything needed for the installation. The cost was less than what my boatyard said they could get in iron at wholesale. The folks at HDI are great and make a great product.

This one?

https://hdimarine.net/product/vb-stainl ... ing-elbow/

I am confused: Folks are taking about dry elbows above..?
. entire kit was cheaper than the dry elbow from yanmar here.
Dry, as in no water cooling? Sounds like a suicide mission, but perhaps I read it wrong.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Norseman wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:24 pm

Absolutely reading it wrong. On the yanmar you have a dry and wet elbow. The dry elbow comes directly off the turbo turbine on the exhaust side. That then links to the wet (mixing elbow) before being connected to the exhaust hose. Your mixing elbow has the exhaust gas passing internally and raw water is injected around the outside. I’m on the boat tomorrow and can take pictures to explain for you

This one?

https://hdimarine.net/product/vb-stainl ... ing-elbow/

I am confused: Folks are taking about dry elbows above..?
. entire kit was cheaper than the dry elbow from yanmar here.
Dry, as in no water cooling? Sounds like a suicide mission, but perhaps I read it wrong.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Aye, that makes sense.
No need for pictures, got the boat next to me and having problems with my wet elbow and been looking at it all day.:)
Had a Yanmar mechanic install a brand new wet elbow 6 months ago,, all good.
Noticed corrosion last week as the 4 inch wide, 7 inch long wire reinforced hose below the wet elbow had failed, spewing raw water from Port to Starboard.
Dove into it immediately and installed new (steel reinforced) hose and new hose clamps.
Noticed a faint smell of exhaust on the way to the Florida Keys
last Monday. When at anchor I dug out my 11 mm deep socket and torqued the hose clamp connecting the wet elbow to the turbo side.
No more exhaust smell, but instead got soot on the elbow from the turbo side. (Not a drop of water leak)
Either I torqued the clamp too much, not enough or I need to look for a missing high seal, gasket or paste.
Thank Allah this wet elbow and related plumbing is very accessible and my home port of Fort Lauderdale is full of exhaust shops, parts and related business within 10 minutes of my boat.
What I learned the last few days:
1)No need for wire reinforced exhaust hose as the 7 inch run is straight, wire hose is only for bends to keep the hose from collapsing.
2) The Wrong hose was installed before, perhaps from the factory?
3) Silicon hose is superior stuff to a rubber hose, wire or no wire.
4) So far I have only found 4” silicon house in 3 foot lengths @ $150, which means I am wasting $120 going for the 3 foot hose when I only need 7”.
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Post by Paddy »

For those who had failure, can you share the years of your Yanmar? I have read the horror stories of having the elbow fail so I have a backup elbow and clamps on the boat...coming up at 1700 hours and no problems so far. My marina mate with an earlier model had the failure happen to him, he told me to apply foot pressure to the elbow every few weeks, which I have been following. Just wondering if its more of a late 90s to early 2000 issue but would love to hear real world feedback from others.
2004 28TE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

9A17AE1B-F95D-4C93-81D4-CEF0530A753F.jpeg
Today’s picture of the elbow: Soot coming from the turbo side to the left.
Cleaned soot yesterday, looking at 5-6 hours of soot.
Need to investigate the flange, is there a missing seal, or too much, or too little torque on the flange clamp?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. For those who had failure, can you share the years of your Yanmar?
My old wet elbow was about 14 years old.
It was still holding up good, but the Yanmar Mechanic told me it seemed to be seeping and it was time.
Got a new one from the Yanmar Dealer for $548 or so, worked good until water started spewing from the steel reinforced hose below the elbow.
In other words, the hose and or hose clamps failed before the old $548 Yanmar elbow.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Norseman wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:17 pm 9A17AE1B-F95D-4C93-81D4-CEF0530A753F.jpeg

Today’s picture of the elbow: Soot coming from the turbo side to the left.
Cleaned soot yesterday, looking at 5-6 hours of soot.
Need to investigate the flange, is there a missing seal, or too much, or too little torque on the flange clamp?
Looks like you’ve got a good leak there. You should have a stainless steel gasket between the two faces but that’s not a gasket failure - more like something wrong with installation and the mating faces aren’t flat. I’d take that apart and reinstall. Use some exhaust paste either side of the gasket to assist.

You may find because of the leak the inlet side of the turbo isn’t making boost due to the exhaust side leaking.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. Looks like you’ve got a good leak there. You should have a stainless steel gasket between the two faces but that’s not a gasket failure
Yes, you are correct. There is a gasket there and it probably not reusable. Will get a new one Monday. It appears to be aluminum, but perhaps steel. (Pretty light and thin)
Perhaps I did not torque the clamp enough, or too much.
B904797C-77D8-43C2-BC00-5B73D77EB6BA.png
A765FCB6-D9F3-43E1-BD9B-D4E02A652DD6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

They’re made from stainless steel because of the heat. The little ridge you see in it is to assist with the sealing of the flange faces. Getting the flanges to seal on the Albin can be a right PITA because of the wet elbows location with the underside of the deck.

Apply some exhaust paste either side of the gasket next time and that will help loads.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”