• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Steering Cable on 1971 Albin 25

Albin's "power cruisers"
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

Steering Cable on 1971 Albin 25

Post by honza »

Would anybody know the replacement part number/model of steering cable for 1971 Albin 25 hull 1110. It appears that the steering could be original. On the back of the gear box it says only Teleflex - nothing more. It takes two turns from stop to stop. The cable color is blueish. What to check or measure to find out what I have and need? I would prefer to have the replacement at hand, before taking things apart. The season is short here and the thing is getting harder to move. The rudder shaft is fine and the gearbox probably too, but it has a bit of play in it . Thank you.

Jan
in Maine
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Re: Steering Cable on 1971 Albin 25

Post by stmbtwle »

Teleflex is now Seastar: http://www.seastarsolutions.com/
Somewhere on the cable jacket you should find a model number, write that down and contact them, they should be able to fix you up. This might be the time to replace the steering box if it's getting too sloppy.

If/when you remove the old cable, tie a length of 1/4" line to it FIRST. You can use the line to pull the new cable through.

A competitor is Uflex: https://uflexusa.ultraflexgroup.com/ . They should be able to help, too.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

When in doubt, Google it. See items #2, #14, & #17 on this FAQ list.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... ?docId=714

Maybe this YouTube video as well if the cable is stiff. It's shade tree mechanic redneck MacGyver stuff, so don't swear by it, but it could work if the cable is sticking. At best it might save $$ if it works. At worst you'd just have to replace the cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c902o33wdtg

I'd say first, make sure the rudder shaft is actually OK by disconnecting the rudder end of the cable & work the rudder by hand before going further. Hope that helps.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by honza »

Thank you guys for pointing me the right direction. Looks like the cable is SSC61, which actually is SSC62 plus SA27620P converter.
Jan
Slow Poke A25 #1110
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

honza wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:34 am Would anybody know the replacement part number/model of steering cable for 1971 Albin 25 hull 1110. It appears that the steering could be original. On the back of the gear box it says only Teleflex - nothing more. It takes two turns from stop to stop. The cable color is blueish. What to check or measure to find out what I have and need? I would prefer to have the replacement at hand, before taking things apart. The season is short here and the thing is getting harder to move. The rudder shaft is fine and the gearbox probably too, but it has a bit of play in it . Thank you.

Jan
in Maine
Where in Maine are you located?
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by honza »

The above answered thru PM.

So, I finally got to working on the steering. The helm (the gear box) end does not seem to be a problem, as I am considering to install Simrad autopilot anyway. But, at the rudder end of the cable there is a ball joint and the cable ends with about 13 in. long push-pull rod threaded 1/2"-20 at its end. Onto this screws the ball joint bearing side (socket). There is about 14 in. long tubing at the end of the cable jacket, which provides guidance for the rod in push action. Please see pictures.

The cable jacket is blue and marked "cm 450" and that is approximately its length from the helm edge to the ball socket when the rod is half extended. The helm is marked Teleflex, Made in Sweden, no model numbers or other info on the cable, nor on the helm. Regarding the appearance a state of it, I suspect, it could be the original equipment, at least partially.

I did not have any luck finding a steering cable with similar threaded end. All seem to have just a hole at he end, and the guiding tubes are much shorter. Any ideas or experience with this set-up? Thank you.

The boat is 1971 A25 #1110.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Slow Poke A25 #1110
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

I'm thinking of replacing the cable on mine too. What did you end up doing for yours? I'm tempted to replace the helm too. Its only $144 for a full kit. My box looks perfectly fine so if there is an adapter I could possibly save some time. I have a Sportpilot auto pilot mounted on mine so it a bit of a hassle to deal with that.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Honza did you ever find your cable?

I have an account at a marine wholesaler. I can contact them next week to see if I can get you one since you've provided the part number.

EDIT
I found this one on ebay, searching "Teleflex ssc61." I think the length gets added to the end of the part number, ie ssc61xx:
https://www.ebay.com/p/1818864094

It is a 25' long cable, which may be right with the twists and turns. Biggest question; does that end look right? I read on Jamestown Distributors' website that this version is being phased out. Source:
https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/m ... wHEALw_wcB

EDIT 2

I reread the notes on Jamestown's site, linked above and it mentions an adapter for helms made previous to 1995. The part number in question, tel-sa6270p, doesn't seem to be available on their website. That adapter may be for the helm side of the cable, meaning one may have to replace the helm as well.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by honza »

My steering gear box (the helm, as they say) was something prehistoric, which probably never existed in the US, probably the original, was plastic, substandard and chewed up. I ended up getting Simrad autopilot, which includes new helm and goes with Morse 290, Morse 304411 or Teleflex SSC52 - some of it is the cable designation. I think, Teleflex (which is not Teleflex no more) goes now with the Morse number, I think. If you need details, I can dig it up. The Simrad helm pilot fitted quite well in the small space with very little cutting - your mileage may vary.

At the other end of the cable, there was a very professionally looking ball joint (see above). The guy at Seastar Solutions (that is what they are called now!) said it was terribly obsolete and that I need clevis kit SA27577P, which in turn was nowhere to be found, so I ended up buying crappy looking part (still quite expensive, for what it is) SA27577P and will live with it, till I find the real thing. I also needed a new support tube SA27274P. The parts and numbers are shown on p. 150 of Seastar Solutions catalog of unknown vintage. Put together runs like a charm, still on the dry.

Talking about related stuff, I had to take out the rudder, to get the prop in. At the aft end of the horizontal SS tubing, leading from the keel to the rudder bearing support, which looks like a smoker's pipe, there were remnants of a weird shaped rubber gasket, which purpose I could not figure our out - possibly electrical insulator. As it was mostly non existent, I put the parts together without it. I have a zinc on the horizontal tubing and do not plan much of seawater anyway. Has anybody got and opinion, of what I committed? Thanks.
Slow Poke A25 #1110
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

There is a fibre bushing that fits into the pipe elbow at the end of the rudder support. It acts as a steady bearing to prevent excessive movement at the lower end of the rudder. Perhaps it is remnants from this bushing that you found. New bushings are available from Albin Motor in Sweden.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by honza »

Thanks. The fiber bushing was there in a very good shape and I put it back. The gasket remnants, I am talking about, were at the other end of the elbow, where the elbow attaches to (inserts into) the horizontal SS tubing leading to the keel.
Slow Poke A25 #1110
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

There is no gasket used where the elbow connects to the strut.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

15899076317232654276759088454519.jpg
Here is what mine looks like...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Gee nebulatech...I'm starting to feel better about the WillieC with each picture you post!

She didn't look quite that bad, but close. Keep at it, it will all buff out. (I think he's looking for pics of the angle fitting at the bottom of the rudder post.)
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Here is where my rudder meets the hull:
15899139382235577846211224206712.jpg
And while we are at it:
1589913994533847711649088040564.jpg
Lots of corrosion on that one!

No worries Rick! It will all be right in the end. The fiberglass work is pretty easy and to borrow an adage, "paint makes what shipright aint."
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”