• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fill depth for transmision - dip stick

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Jon Fuller
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Long Point, CT

Fill depth for transmision - dip stick

Post by Jon Fuller »

Hello,
My transmission dip stick has a line scored in it about 3/4" from the bottom. Is that the cold fill level or hot fill level. Or put another way, is that the lowest desired level or the highest level? I am not sure.

Thank you,
Jon Fuller
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Re: Fill depth for transmision - dip stick

Post by rebuckley »

Can you provide a picture and maybe the make/model of your transmission? I know mine has the typical 2 lines (Borg Warner) with scores in between them.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

The line is usually just that: Full Line.
Albin model and year would probably be helpful, so would Engine and tranny model, and even a picture.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Post by cdsailor »

If you don't know the last fluid change date/hours, drain fluid and refill per manual specs. Note level on dipstick. If transmission cooler is plumbed into the system, add fluid to account for additional capacity. Check level and scribe new line - if necessary.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

I’m pretty sure this subject was covered in detail awhile back. Do a Google search of our posts; as I recall, you check the level in the cold condition by unscrewing the dip stick, wipe clean and insert without screwing it down to get the correct reading. The transmission operations manual should be checked also.
Don.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Our older Hurth has a dipstick like yours. According to the manual I read a couple of years ago the level should at the upper line without screwing the cap down. So far, so good.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Mine is a ZF Hurth (2001) as well. I forgot to mention in my post above that it is recommended that the engine be run briefly to circulate the transmission fluid throughout the transmission before taking the level reading.
Don.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

No one could possibly provide all the info you need without knowing what specific model gear you have. Different model gears are handled differently. For example, with the ZF "motor oil gear" such as the 220A the stick is a "push-in" stick where the reading is taken with the stick fully inserted. However the "ATF line" of ZF gears such as the 45, the 63 and the 80/85 series, have the "screw in" stick and those are read with the stick inserted but not screwed in. Best advise as noted above is to fully drain, and add the proper capacity. Then check the stick - better to be towards the lower mark than to be full or overfull.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Baldwin, NY

Post by dgetswet »

Hey Rob,
You seem to know a little about the ZF transmission so I have a question maybe you can help me with. I have the ZF 220A tranny. On the plate it says SAE 30 for fluid. The previous owner told me his mechanic changed the fluid with Detron VI ATF. So far the marine supply stores are telling me engine oil SAE 30 but it does not sound right.
Would you know the correct fluid by chance? I've been doing some research looking for the owners manual to double check as I don't feel like spending a few thousand on a fix.

Don

RobS wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:49 am No one could possibly provide all the info you need without knowing what specific model gear you have. Different model gears are handled differently. For example, with the ZF "motor oil gear" such as the 220A the stick is a "push-in" stick where the reading is taken with the stick fully inserted. However the "ATF line" of ZF gears such as the 45, the 63 and the 80/85 series, have the "screw in" stick and those are read with the stick inserted but not screwed in. Best advise as noted above is to fully drain, and add the proper capacity. Then check the stick - better to be towards the lower mark than to be full or overfull.
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

As I noted above, the 220 is a motor oil gear. See attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

You will want to use regular "motor oil" as opposed to ATF if you can.
ATF does not lubricate as well as motor oil. It has other qualities that are better in some applications.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dgetswet »

jleonard wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:50 am You will want to use regular "motor oil" as opposed to ATF if you can.
ATF does not lubricate as well as motor oil. It has other qualities that are better in some applications.
Thanks for this information. I actually spoke with a authorized repair service LI Marine Engine The owner Paul told me to flush the tranny 2-3 times with fresh SAE 30 oil. it that should fix the problem I am having. I'll give a shout out to Paul Henseone 631-242-5757 327 Skidmore Road Suite A Deer Park, NY 11729 because he was nice enough to take the time and explain it to me without trying to sell me any services. Now if I do have a problem I know who I will call.

So anyway the problem started with the previous owner putting in Detron VI ATF transmission fluid. I emailed him and he told me they did so it is a fact. The 2nd part of the problem was the marine inspector who showed me a million credentials and did nothing more than go on an expensive boat ride. I will never recommend Bob Scanlan. Several problems were found after the purchase which should have been brought to my attention before the deal was done. It was almost as if he was paid to look the other way. But life goes on. At least the previous owner did not lie to me. Here's to hoping it all works out.
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dgetswet »

Hey Rob,

Yes you were correct SAE 30 OIL in a transmission go figure

dgetswet wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:39 am Hey Rob,
You seem to know a little about the ZF transmission so I have a question maybe you can help me with. I have the ZF 220A tranny. On the plate it says SAE 30 for fluid. The previous owner told me his mechanic changed the fluid with Detron VI ATF. So far the marine supply stores are telling me engine oil SAE 30 but it does not sound right.
Would you know the correct fluid by chance? I've been doing some research looking for the owners manual to double check as I don't feel like spending a few thousand on a fix.

Don

RobS wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:49 am No one could possibly provide all the info you need without knowing what specific model gear you have. Different model gears are handled differently. For example, with the ZF "motor oil gear" such as the 220A the stick is a "push-in" stick where the reading is taken with the stick fully inserted. However the "ATF line" of ZF gears such as the 45, the 63 and the 80/85 series, have the "screw in" stick and those are read with the stick inserted but not screwed in. Best advise as noted above is to fully drain, and add the proper capacity. Then check the stick - better to be towards the lower mark than to be full or overfull.
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Yes, Paul is great. Been to his shop a few times. Did you pull the magnet cap and screen?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dgetswet »

No I did not pull the magnet cap and screen. Paul never said to do that and to be honest I don't know where it is. I'll try and figure it it for the spring as I intend on changing the fluid again just to be on the safe side.
RobS wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:22 pm Yes, Paul is great. Been to his shop a few times. Did you pull the magnet cap and screen?
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck

Return to “Albin Maintenance”