• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

lime or calcium on gelcoat

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saugatuck, Mi

lime or calcium on gelcoat

Post by mjohnh »

I have a 2005 Albin 28TE, blue hull, and have owned it for about 4.5 years. It is located in SW Michigan and is in heated winter storage each winter. I have spent hours to try to improve the hull from what I have ASSUMED was oxidation each winter. Last winter I wet sanded and used compounds with a buffer and then wax. Still little improvement.

This winter I discovered ZING. I used it and it totally dissolved my "oxidation", which turned out to be minerals picked up from the water. You have to be careful as the product is an acid. I used rubber gloves and still got acid burns on my wrist. Use long rubber gloves and then follow directions. You can cut it with about 30% water and still get good results. Be careful to not inhale fumes and use a mask to protect your lungs.

After that I used SIO2, a "nano-technology" polymer, of which there are several on the market , and the most brilliant shine on the blue hull that I have ever had,. Comparatively, much less work than past years. So, what you think is oxidation may be an accumulation of minerals and easily removed. Good luck
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: lime or calcium on gelcoat

Post by DougSea »

Thanks for the post. Any before/after pics? :)

I've been thinking of Poli-Glow for the boat this year, but will check out SIO2
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saugatuck, Mi

Post by mjohnh »

Sorry...no pics that would help.....be careful with the "Zing"...it is muriatic acid..I have some burns on my wrist as my glove was not long enough....
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Staten Island NY

Post by efishnsea »

How is that treatment holding up
Bob 2001 28 TE box with 370 Cummins Alimarie3
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by efishnsea »

OK guys spent the weekend working on removing what appeared at first to be oxidation. turns out it was some coating that was applied on the blue gelcoat. After sanding a test spot with 1000 grit I wiped area with acetone to find residue became gummy and wiped off with some effort. After two gallons of acetone and about 12 hours removed all residue old lettering and a pin stripe and found my 19 year old gelcoat in pretty acceptable condition. Now its on to the next step a light compound and wax. getting strong wax on wax off. Bob
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

efishnsea wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:32 pm getting strong wax on wax off. Bob
Not jealous of you... I'm glad you figured it out, thanks for sharing!

What compound are you using? I've compounded about a dozen boats, and I found that I really like Farecla G3 compound, but looking at their website they have new stuff and may be sunsetting the G3 line, so I'm going to have to try something new. Their polymer topcoat "wax" for aircraft was amazing stuff; wipes off easy and leaves a very soft feel, lasts about a season. That's gone from their website now too :(
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by efishnsea »

I have been partial to 3M products but have had good results with buff magic from shurhold.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

I just read a little about the Buffalo Magic. Seems like a slower speed for heavy cutting, faster speed for lighter polish. So basically, you don't need swirl remover. Interesting, I'll try it when my G3 runs out. I appreciate the tip!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “Albin Maintenance”