• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Electrical Connectors

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Electrical Connectors

Post by jashmen »

I am looking to get a selection of connectors to have on hand. Anyone have any recommendations besides the pricey Ancor brand? And do you prefer shrink connectors, or standard with shrink tube over it?

Thanks!
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Electrical Connectors

Post by Norseman »

Ancor has always been good to me.
Price is nothing compared to quality and longevity.
Have used both shrink tube and shrink connectors, prefer the shrink tube: It adds stiffness and chafe protection.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

WillieC great web site, thanks.
However I do feel bad (not so bad) as I have survived all my life so far with cheapo crimp pliers and have not had any problems (that I know of).
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Everyone should have a tube of this on thier boat for EVERY electrical connection made. I have personally used this product in the commercial electrical industry for over 40 years with great confidence. And no, I have no dog in the race, this stuff just works. Coat your connections with this after cleaning them and you will never see any rust or green goo again! A little goes a long way.

https://www.sanchem.com/electrical-cont ... icant.html
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Post by cdsailor »

Pay now or pay later. I've always used Ancor brand - and it's always to replace low-quality connectors that someone else used before me. Three boats and going on 19 years of maintaining and restoring, and I've concluded that buying quality tools and parts is always money, and time, saved - especially if you plan to do more than just one small job. If you're only going to do one small job and you want a "spares" kit onboard, Ancor makes a small kit that includes a crimping tool for about 19.99. It's a good deal and has a basic assortment of the connectors used most frequently. Oh, and the heat shrink connectors simplify the process.
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jashmen »

cdsailor wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:55 am Pay now or pay later. I've always used Ancor brand - and it's always to replace low-quality connectors that someone else used before me. Three boats and going on 19 years of maintaining and restoring, and I've concluded that buying quality tools and parts is always money, and time, saved - especially if you plan to do more than just one small job. If you're only going to do one small job and you want a "spares" kit onboard, Ancor makes a small kit that includes a crimping tool for about 19.99. It's a good deal and has a basic assortment of the connectors used most frequently. Oh, and the heat shrink connectors simplify the process.
I couldn't agree more. I have mainly used the ancor brand, but have only had small jobs. Just looking to see if there are any other brands that are just as good but more affordable.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

I get trying to save a buck, and I am highly skilled in that area, having spent thousands doing so. What is most frustrating on these small boats, and how we tend to spread out the projects, one only needs a few connectors at a time. And often they are different so you need a crazy quilt collection of onesie-twosies. WM et al. are happy selling you tiny plastic packages and that is the worst way to buy them, as an end user.

Wish I had an answer. Try to plan out your projects and order larger quantities. Buy from good discounters, sadly, mostly on-line. And don't skimp on the tools. Best yet, get to know local boaters who like to work on their own boats and pool stuff. Easier said than done, given our innate independence.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

When I did my engine alarms system a few years ago I had a good amount of wiring to do requiring quite a number of connectors. I had a an assortment of Ancor's on board but needed a full supply for the project. I ordered the BSP clear seals from Defender which were easier on the wallet and figured if I was not happy with them they would go in the onboard electrical first aid kit and I would bite the bullet and get the Ancors. The BSP clear seals turned out to be excellent and I've been using them ever since.

Check them out on Defender:
https://www.defender.com/category.jsp?p ... id=2289986

(click photo to zoom in)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Post by cdsailor »

Rob S.,

Good to hear. I was wondering about the quality of the BSP stuff from Defender. Thanks for chiming in.

David
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

I was going to say that is some nice looking work, then I saw "Rob S". Well, no duh!
Jashmen, that is about as good a recommendation that you will find here at AOG.

Rob, what crimper(s) do you use, for say up to #10, with the BSP terms? I have the Ancor ratchetting crimper that does the barrel and the strain relief at the same time. If I hadn't had both carpal tunnels relieved decades ago, I would after using the Ancor tool.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Thanks Willie. That work is 2% skill, the other 98% is just desire and patience..

As to pliers, I'm probably not the guy to ask. I don't use any of the ratcheting type or commercial grade style crimping pliers, for me it's all about the "feel" when making the crimp and those types of pliers take all the user input out of the equation.... I'm not making a general ruling against them, just not for me. In this link I referenced my crimping pliers and my modification to them.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9967&hilit=pliers
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

I usually buy good quality connectors, but somehow this one must have gotten mixed into my boat connector container. This was in place maybe 3 years, on the alternator as the tachometer feed. High and dry in the engine room not near anything else that got corroded.
This is why you need good stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

As to pliers, I'm probably not the guy to ask. I don't use any of the ratcheting type or commercial grade style crimping pliers, for me it's all about the "feel" when making the crimp and those types of pliers take all the user input out of the equation.... I'm not making a general ruling against them, just not for me. In this link I referenced my crimping pliers and my modification to them.
I agree with Rob on this.
At one of the places I worked I had to teach the crimp machine operators how to inspect their work at set up. Since I didn't know much about it I did some research and downloaded the Molex crimp guide from their website(we had Molex machines and used their connectors). Yes they have dimensions based on wire size, but visually you can tell a good crimp once you know what to look for.
I still have that file and if anyone wants it send me an e mail and I'll replay with it. leonaj99 at yahoo dot com.
My crimp pliers are even "cheaper" looking that Rob's but I can make god crimps.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jashmen »

Thanks for the advice. The BSP connectors look a lot like the FTZ extreme connectors.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”