• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cutless bearing replacement 95 28TE

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

cahoots5

Cutless bearing replacement 95 28TE

Post by cahoots5 »

Hi all: I have pulled my prop shaft to fix the vibration that I have at the shaft packing, I have ordered a new dripless seal, shaft cuppling, and cutless bearing. With lots of fun, I got the shaft out, I will take it in for runout check and to have the new cuppling faced.
I wonder if there is outher approches to removing the old cutless bearing other than cuting it with a saw blade. Some one must make a puller for this job??? for our type of housing. One prop shop I talked to, sead to drive it out ftom the inside with a 2" rod, I think there is not room on the transmission end and rod will have to be about 90" long to work. I was thinking of a slide hammer with washers 2" on the end of a shaft. Its about 4' to the end of the fiberglass tube in side the boat, I think I can put the washers on the shaft and a nut then, hammer from the out side with a slide hammer. Your approch please ?? Thanks Steve
cahoots5

pulled the bearing

Post by cahoots5 »

Pulled the bearing this afternoon, big pain. My boat had a line cutter on the prop shaft, when I started to pull the cutless bearing, ( used a saw ) I removed the set's that hold the bearing in place, I found that the installer of the line cutter taped 3 - 1/4" bolts into the side of the housing that hold the cutless bearing, the bolts were to long and pushed the brass cutless bearing in to the shaft. Its a shocker that the shaft turned at all ?. I have sent for the parts to fix the shaft. I will put it back togather soon lets see if this fixes my viberation ? and run like I think it was planned by Albin.
Steve
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey Steve,

Thanks for posting your details. Do you have any photos of the work? It would be interesting to see.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Cutless bearing replacement 95 28TE

Post by Pitou »

cahoots5 wrote:.
I wonder if there is outher approches to removing the old cutless bearing other than cuting it with a saw blade. Some one must make a puller for this job??? One prop shop I talked to, sead to drive it out ftom the inside with a 2" rod, I think there is not room on the transmission end and rod will have to be about 90" long to work. I was thinking of a slide hammer with washers 2" on the end of a shaft. Its about 4' to the end of the fiberglass tube in side the boat, I think I can put the washers on the shaft and a nut then, hammer from the out side with a slide hammer. Your approch please ?? Thanks Steve
When I replaced my cutlass bearing this past spring I removed the casting that holds the bearing and brought that to my local prop shop and they used a press to push out the old and to set the new bearing. I am lucky to have a pretty large shop so close to home. They actually are the ones who provide Albin with their shafts, props / running gear.

http://www.hhprop.com/
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

What test or check do I use to check my cutless bearing? I don't have any vibrations but would like to keep on top of it.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I think it's one of those things that you'll know when it's time. I started feeling a vibration in the deck.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

On sailboats we just grab the propeller and try to move it side to side. If there is too much play, it indicates the cutless bearing is worn. I think this should work on the Albin.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”