• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Anchor/Nav light

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Anchor/Nav light

Post by Russell »

Does anyone have experience with failure of the white anchor/nav light on the top of the 28TE? I have checked the switch on the dash and it seems to work correctly but neither the anchor light or the navigation light receive any voltage. With the switch in the navigate position the red/green/stern white lights all come on but nothing to the roof. I cannot see how the wires get to the light on the roof to see if they are discontinuous. If there is something obvious let me know. I hate to bring in a repairman at $85/hr and then feel foolish. :?:
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Anchor/Nav light

Post by DougSea »

Russell wrote:Does anyone have experience with failure of the white anchor/nav light on the top of the 28TE? I have checked the switch on the dash and it seems to work correctly but neither the anchor light or the navigation light receive any voltage. With the switch in the navigate position the red/green/stern white lights all come on but nothing to the roof. I cannot see how the wires get to the light on the roof to see if they are discontinuous. If there is something obvious let me know. I hate to bring in a repairman at $85/hr and then feel foolish. :?:
Mine was just corroded. Spun the bulbs a few times and it worked fine.

I believe those wires go forward into the trim area above the windshield (where your wipers are mounted) and then run back behind one of the removable side panels, just below the arch.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

I had an issue with mine not working in one of the positions. In my boat there are three access points for wiring. They are very close to the windshield wiper motors. The middle access point contains the wires that go to the anchor/nave light. The harness has, just before it goes through the roof, what is called a "diode oring set up". The issue I had was that one of the diodes was not making a good connection so the light only came on in one position. In your case possibly more then one diode may have come loose or have been damaged. In any case you can check to see if there is voltage at this point. Check to see if there is a voltage present on both sides of the network. If there is a voltage present in both positions then I would say the problem is in your light fixture.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Thanks for the comments. I checked the fixture with a VOM and there was no voltage in any position of the switch. The diode problem sounds the most likely but earlier this year a guy installed a new GPS on the roof and may have done something. I have not used the boat after dark for a while and just discovered the problem. With the shorter days it is now a necessity.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

I ended up calling in my electronics guy and he found a bad splice in the wiring and a socket loose on one of the bulbs. I will not mention the cost but at least I am ready to head out at 4:00 AM this weekend for the canyons.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Bringing this one back to life - I have a similar problem. When switched to anchor, both lights work but when switched to running lights, the forward running light doesn't appear to be working.

I'm yet to check the wires on the switch as I would have thought that would be the most likely place but any suggestions are appreciated as always.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Well since the fwd and rear lights will light up your wire runs and fixture are in working order. So like you said it's the wiring at the switch. The switch should be a DPDT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Once again, cheers for that Rob - hopefully i'll be on the boat over the weekend to update some software on the Dragonfly unit so I shall look at the nav lights while I am at it.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”