• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28 flush deck Hydraulic lifts

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Baldwin, NY

Albin 28 flush deck Hydraulic lifts

Post by dgetswet »

So I buy the boat after the inspection. I get the boat home and hit the button for the hydraulic lift in the center compartment and nothing. No click no noise no lift no nothing. Any ideas?
The engine hatch works fine. Seems like finding little things that the owner did not talk about and my crack inspector did not find or care to look at.

Don
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
Capt Brad
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mattapoisett Ma

Re: Albin 28 flush deck Hydraulic lifts

Post by Capt Brad »

There is a switch on my helm power panel that Must be on also. Mine is labeled “hatch lift”. Only being my second season with my 28TE flush deck, I find Albin used more redundant switches and breakers than are needed. Switch also could be bad. The hatch is so heavy, the lifts struggle to lift the hatch unless both batteries are on, engine warm and running with now glow plugs and Alternator at 14amps, or battery charger is on.
Capt Brad
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

The switch on the helm panel powers both rocker switches on the starboard side of the pilot house . So you should be able to open the center with the outside rocker switch. If there is no response you can lift the hatch yourself or with help and have a 2x4 or something strong to prop it open. This will not damage the lifts. The lifts are not hydraulic but electrical and you can check for voltage and continuity of the wires. Especially check the very small ones that carry position feedback to synchronize the two lifts. On my boat one of those broke and the hatch opened in a start stop fashion. You can also disconnect the lifts and see how they respond to the switch. Here is a link to the Uflex site where you can get information and wiring instructions.

http://uflexusa.ultraflexgroup.com/default.asp
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dgetswet »

Russell wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:16 pm The switch on the helm panel powers both rocker switches on the starboard side of the pilot house . So you should be able to open the center with the outside rocker switch. If there is no response you can lift the hatch yourself or with help and have a 2x4 or something strong to prop it open. This will not damage the lifts. The lifts are not hydraulic but electrical and you can check for voltage and continuity of the wires. Especially check the very small ones that carry position feedback to synchronize the two lifts. On my boat one of those broke and the hatch opened in a start stop fashion. You can also disconnect the lifts and see how they respond to the switch. Here is a link to the Uflex site where you can get information and wiring instructions.

http://uflexusa.ultraflexgroup.com/default.asp
Thanks for the info. I thought they were hydraulic good to know. I'll have to get something to hold it open while I get in there and check the wires. Hopefully it will be an easy fix. So much to learn on this boat.
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Here are the Uflex instructions I found in my computer files. Note on the wiring diagram that the red and blue feedback wires are crossed. When I first found this on my boat I thought that was the problem which it obviously was not.
Another tip while you are in there inspect the mounting attachments. On my boat they had mounted the lower end of the starboard lift with screws through a piece of plywood. The force of lifting the hatch pulled the forward screw loose so the bracket would tilt and possibly cause misalignment during the lift. Once it was up the bracket was flat and looked fine. I remounted the bracket with bolts and a backing plate. The lifts seem to have no trouble raising the hatch on my boat, so if they do there may be a mechanical problem or you have a lot of weight in the fishbox. Mine only containes lines and fenders.
Uflex hatch lifter instructions.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

On my boat there is a slight delay (1 -2 seconds) after I press the rocker switch until lifts start. Also recommend having the engine running or the shore power connected and charging the batteries when you lift the hatch. On my 2005, the small wires were all corroded at the connections. Had to replace them before my lifts became reliable.
dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dgetswet »

Okay have to say thanks guys. The lifts are not hydraulic, they are electric. Turns out after searching all over I pulled out the cabinet behind the captains chair. The wire was disconnected. Simple fix. So that's one problem down and a few to go. Still can't find the macerator pump switch that's under the fish box in the center.

Thanks
Don
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

I would look behind the dash panel for a couple disconnected wires, maybe even just one. That switch was in that panel from factory, PO must have repurposed it for something else. The only time I have ever used mine was to winterize.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”