• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Pettit Hydrocoat thumbs up

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Pettit Hydrocoat thumbs up

Post by jleonard »

Someone in this group recommended hydrocoat. I tried it this season and at yesterday's winter haul out I have to say the bottom (boat's bottom) is the cleanest I can ever remember hands down!
I highly recommend it and I'll be using it again next year.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Re: Petit Hydrocoat thumbs up

Post by rebuckley »

Have used it for the past 3 yrs - and tout it every time I can - excellent and easy clean up!! (plus - using the $4 can of "rustoleum zinc paint" on any exposed parts - vs the $40 Pettit zinc) - - I could not be happier!!
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

After our Desolation Sound voyage this summer, the mighty WillieC grew quite a beard on the Hydrocoat.Eco.
IMG_2125.JPG
This after being in the water since mid June, recently hauled. Not quite three months. These waters are fairly warm in the summer so maybe that is to blame. This stuff would not budge with pressure from a decent water hose nozzle. It took a cheap household pressure washer to remove it. Not sure if this is normal but it is much more than we have seen previously, though we usually do not leave it in the water continuously for that long of a period.

I will say it did come off, not too much red came with it. Maybe I just need to drive it faster, say 6.5 kts instead of 6.

Edit: Note the Bilgekote gray boot stripe holding up quite nicely after two seasons.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by WillieC on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I used the regular hydrocoat. We had unusually warm water and many more 90 plus days than normal. We also didn't run as many hours as normal.
As a bonus this paint went on so much easier than anything else I have used.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Jleonard, thanks for the clarification. It is SO difficult to compare apples and oranges these days... Others, please note the difference and use it for comparison.

As to ease of application, this being my first bottom paint job, I have no comparison, other than the final application of bottom paint was very straightforward. This statement does not include the prep work of getting to a clean hull before applying multiple coats of two part epoxy barrier coat.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”