• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New engine, new paint!

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Treeman
First Mate
First Mate

New engine, new paint!

Post by Treeman »

First time on the water with the new hull paint and engine rebuild. We had a nice 5+ hour cruise!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: New engine, new paint!

Post by WillieC »

OH NO! they painted it upside down!

How sweet is all that. My engine degraded to a one hour engine, that's all the farther we could go without overheating, etc. After the refresh, we put over 120 hours on it last summer and 130 plus on our recent cruise to Desolation Sound over a six week period.
Now get out there!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We had a nice 5+ hour cruise!
Nice! First of many years & happy hours of cruising I hope!

From the stern view & noting that the exhaust outlet is located to port indicates it's likely an earlier pre-1973 full displacement model. What's your hull number? Check out this page on Albin history, courtesy of the Albineers of BC club site that includes a table of hull number ranges for each production year.

http://www.albinbc.com/home/albin-25-history

Does yours have any sort of canvas enclosure to go over the back half of the open cockpit? Do you get down to the Gulf Coast with it, or stick with nearby fresh water lakes & rivers, for example Lake Travis & Colorado River (not to be confused with the Colorado River of Grand Canyon fame that makes up the western AZ state border with California)?

I would think shade over the cockpit, even if a simple bimini, would be paramount. Adding a swim platform & boarding ladder would make life easier as well. Is the rebuilt engine the factory original or a previously installed 2nd engine from a repower job?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Treeman
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Treeman »

I can't recall the hull number and she's out at the farm but I know that the original owner took delivery in 1971. Thanbks for the link! It's the original AD21 engine. I played Hell finding modern parts but managed to get rings, bearings and seals in high quality modern versions and injectors and injector pump are Siemens so they were easy. Bosch didn't even make parts for the starter any longer and wouldn't recommend a replacement. That was rough but found one for a Belarus tractor that worked with a small modification. It puts out about 40% more power so that engine starts before you can let go of the key!

I have the old swim platform but I'm going to design a new one with some very special local wood. We live inland but drag her 3 hours to Port Aransas when we don't have much time and 5 hours to Port Mansfield when we do. Hoping for a road trip around the gulf coast to the Keys next summer.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Winter or early spring might be the time to head for the Keys, maybe even a run out to Fort Jefferson & Dry Tortugas NP from Key West. Or would Fort Jefferson be too far from Key West, trailering around to FL I presume? How is it running Aransas Pass out into the Gulf from Corpus Christi Bay, or do you generally stay inside the barrier islands? Is Aransas Pass subject to tidal currents & even wind-against-tide breakers?

Eight years ago back in 2010 was the last time we were in Key West on an extended Florida vacation after a Caribbean cruise on a Princess cruise ship. Went on a sunset sail excursion out of Key West, looking to spot the "green flash".
IMG_0449.JPG
IMG_0462.JPG
IMG_0453.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0479.JPG
You should definately go if you get the chance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Cie2887810@aol.com
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Riverhead NY

Post by Cie2887810@aol.com »

I just had a new Yanmar 6LY440 installed in my 2004 35' TE by Niemic marine in Newbedford Ma. I hit a whale off of Cape Cod on our return trip to NY from Salem Ma and my engine did a come apart from the sudden stop of the prop. Niemiec did a great job installing the new engine as well as the electronic controls that come with it. I would highly recommend them. I wish I knew how to post pictures here so you could see how nice a job they did. Very happy with the new engine!

Return to “Albin Maintenance”