• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Ideas for Winter Canvas Cover for Albin 27 Sport

Albin's "power cruisers"
Shogun
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Stratford, Ct

Ideas for Winter Canvas Cover for Albin 27 Sport

Post by Shogun »

Hello Group,

Can anyone recommend a canvas cover supplier for our Albin 27 Sport? I've been having the boat yard cover the boat the last 2 years since purchase with shrink wrap but I would like to start covering the boat myself with a canvas cover. Would like to order from a supplier that has the dimensions and a ready designed, easily deployed canvas cover.

Any help would be appreciated. Britt

1987 A 27 Sport "Moody Blue"
Britt Hughes -
Albin27 Sport
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Ideas for Winter Canvas Cover for Albin 27 Sport

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

You could, if so inclined and have sufficient workspace like a garage to set up a "loft", save thousands of $$ by investing in a heavy duty walking foot sewing machine & check out the Sailrite.com website. Whether you bought a new machine from them or located a used one somewhere else, by going the DIY route the money spent on your own machine would more than pay for itself. In addition to online sales of everything needed from machines to fabric, thread, zippers, snaps, you name it, they also have a library of excellent "tricks of the trade" how to videos that take almost any project step by step from beginning to end.

https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-a- ... over-Video

I found a used Thompson Mini Walker machine for $300 that has come in handy again and again for various canvas projects large & small. Sailrite's own branded machines are upgraded versions based on the Thompson's basic design.
00e0e_6PkOzXOfeKv_600x450.jpg
All this canvas cockpit enclosure I designed, patterned, and sewed myself with help from Sailrite videos.
DSCN2099.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:39 pm You could, if so inclined and have sufficient workspace like a garage to set up a "loft", save thousands of $$ by investing in a heavy duty walking foot sewing machine & check out the Sailrite.com website. Whether you bought a new machine from them or located a used one somewhere else, by going the DIY route the money spent on your own machine would more than pay for itself. In addition to online sales of everything needed from machines to fabric, thread, zippers, snaps, you name it, they also have a library of excellent "tricks of the trade" how to videos that take almost any project step by step from beginning to end.

I found a used Thompson Mini Walker machine for $300 that has come in handy again and again for various canvas projects large & small. Sailrite's own branded machines are upgraded versions based on the Thompson's basic design.

00e0e_6PkOzXOfeKv_600x450.jpg

All this canvas cockpit enclosure I designed, patterned, and sewed myself with help from Sailrite videos.

DSCN2099.JPG
I like your window covers! Are they held on with snaps?
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I adapted the idea from this Sailrite project video for sailboat companionway hatch covers. Sun & heat are the big factors for us, so I wanted outer flaps and sunscreens and removable vinyl windows on the cockpit canvas enclosure. Not only that, I have the option to roll up the sides & back. So the back & sides are like this video, except the rear window/screen/flap has zippers on the sides & post snaps on the bottom edge. For the side window/flaps, the front edge snaps to the back edge of the wheel house & the back edge closes with zippers and the bottom corners with snaps. The outer flaps are held closed by velcro just like in the video. The black Phifertex sun screen material is sewn in permanently. My window vinyl is completely removable from the inside & held in place with velcro when the need arises in cold or wet weather.

In practice I have one problem with the slanted back window in that when the vinyl window is velcroed in place from the inside and the outer flap is rolled up, the bottom edge leaks water when it rains. So this year I want to work on that issue, figuring a way to attach the vinyl from the outside. Also the clear vinyl I got is a thicker gauge than I'd prefer & is stiff & hard to deal with.

I may work on modifying my side & back windows so they can zip in like this video linked below. Maybe make it so the screens can unzip & swap out for vinyl windows, yet still have the outer cover flaps? That's why it's nice to have your own machine to be able to make changes & repairs with paying for labor.

https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Install ... nvas-Video

One other thing I'm finding is since I first did the canvas job three years ago the intense Arizona sun has fried the hook side of the velcro on the outer flaps, so I need to replace them this year.

Now if you're talking about the Sunbrella covers over the windshield & glass pilot house side windows, they are held on by button snaps & came with the boat from PO's. I'd also like to make snap on shade screen covers for the cabin windows, since with the heat out here the cabin can reach well over 125 degrees when everything is closed up during 110 degree summer days. As I write this at 2 PM one week into September it's 103 degrees outside, so I'm sure the cabin is at least 110 right now. But hey, it's a dry heat!
DSCN4479 (1280x960).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”