• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rudder shoe 88 27 fc

Albin's "power cruisers"
mistyjim1
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Cave junction or

Rudder shoe 88 27 fc

Post by mistyjim1 »

Hi, electrolysis took out my rudder shoe, slight angle on shoe had to be matched and it took a bit of searching to find a competent builder. Settled on Bob Dean supply Inc in ft Myers FL. 288.00 delivery included. Nice job And built a bit better than original.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
realtorknox
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: florida

Re: Rudder shoe 88 27 fc

Post by realtorknox »

My '86 FC is facing the same problem. How did you discover the angle and is it in both mounting plates? Thanks, Randy. "Manatee" 1986 Albin Family Cruiser, North Fort Myers, Fla.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Nice work indeed!

Is the original aluminum or stainless?

Cave Junction Oregon, small world - I have an Air Force buddy who was raised there. Col Donn M Lewis. I was best man at his wedding about 50 years ago

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
mistyjim1
Mate
Mate

Post by mistyjim1 »

realtorknox wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:02 am My '86 FC is facing the same problem. How did you discover the angle and is it in both mounting plates? Thanks, Randy. "Manatee" 1986 Albin Family Cruiser, North Fort Myers, Fla.
Angle is visible on the tube, tube is welded at different locations on the plate. The mounting holes are straight however so the bolt locations are different between the top and bottom plate. My original was still together enough to determine the original build angle. the bronze rudder shaft has a hard plastic bearing where it sits in the shoe so get the angle wrong and that would quickly get eaten up. Also the builder had to order the piece of tube with the right Inside diameter, not a standard size and that contributed to the cost.
mistyjim1
Mate
Mate

Post by mistyjim1 »

Beta Don wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:31 am Nice work indeed!

Is the original aluminum or stainless?

Cave Junction Oregon, small world - I have an Air Force buddy who was raised there. Col Donn M Lewis. I was best man at his wedding about 50 years ago

Don
Original was stainless, cj is a great place, love the Pacific Northwest. Looking forward to the end of the fire season though
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Cave Junction, OR to Ft. Meyers, FL. Wow. I asked a local guy about making a stainless exhaust elbow for my ancient Volvo Penta. He said I wouldn't want to know how much it would cost. I took him at his word and ordered a stock cast iron spare. Nice find and great looking workmanship. He could be getting more inquiries.
realtorknox
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: florida

Re: Rudder shoe 88 27 fcDeckhand, we'll be in Fla September to

Post by realtorknox »

Thank you deckhand, we will be back in Fla. in September to tackle the problem.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”