• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

albin 27 fc.....new owner

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Aurora
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tiverton, rhode island

albin 27 fc.....new owner

Post by Aurora »

yanmar 88hp low hours. surveyor said the engine was rated at 3800 rpm and when sea trailed, she got up to 3700. was just delivered to me and when i bring it up to 3000, the engine starts to clank and smokes out the exhaust. i bring it back down to 2500 and all good. i did notice that theres too much engine oil in her. could that be the culprit????
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seabrook, Texas

Re: albin 27 fc.....new owner

Post by boater_mike »

What color is the smoke? Does it only smoke when starting and then immediately dissipate? If she came up to 3700 rpm during sea trials (without smoking), my guess is something happening with the fuel system. I read your other post regarding running for 20-30 minutes before cutting out. A vaccumed the fuel system per another posters suggestion is a good place to start. Also look at you filters. Old fuel and water could be an issue as well.

At 3700 rpm and black smoke indicates an overpropping issue - the same issue I have on my AC27FC. I'll wait until I can pull it out again and change the prop. I max out at 2500 rpm on my little 4D61 with black exhaust and rising engine temps - an indication the engine is being overworked. NOT good. At 2k-2.2k I'm fine.

-Mike
"Corda Francis" - 1984 ALBIN 27FC #129
Aurora
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tiverton, rhode island

Post by Aurora »

it smokes(black and oily smelling) and chatters when i get it up to about 3000 rpm. i bring it back down to 2500 and clear and smooth again. engine temp does not increase.. i do have way too much engine oil in her. i'm taking that down to the proper level. not sure if thats contributing to the problem.
boater_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seabrook, Texas

Post by boater_mike »

Too much engine oil can be a big problem. I had a vehicle once that had the "oil changed" at a $19.99 oil change drive thru. The problem arose after I "changed" the oil, I drove a little, and once up to highway speed, the engine started chattering and I immediately lost oil pressure. I pulled off, checked the oil, the whole dipstick was oil. Turns out, the old oil was NEVER removed. They just added 4-1/2 more quarts. Too much oil can get so high inside the engine, it starts to "froth" and starts to behave like foam - my oil pressure sensor sensed only foam - hence the loss of oil pressure. (think the oil pump only pumps liquid...not air). Thankfully, i was close to home, drained all the oil, and replaced with the proper amount. No more problems. I was VERY lucky. :)

-Mike
"Corda Francis" - 1984 ALBIN 27FC #129

Return to “Albin Maintenance”