• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 27 Engine Replacement

Albin's "power cruisers"
blandc
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

Albin 27 Engine Replacement

Post by blandc »

Hello all,
The mechanics/engineers have run into some problems regarding installation of a new transmission for the Volvo Penta diesel on my Albin 27FC. Because of that, and a number of other reasons, I was wondering if this might be a good time to replace the engine too. Does anyone have any suggestions for a "good/easy fit" engine in the 100 - 110 hp range for this boat. Having had sailboats all my life, until now, I am especially inclined toward the Yanmar and Beta diesels. Has anyone used either of these in an Albin 27? Thanks for any information, including, if you know of such, a possible source for rebuilt engines? Many thanks, charles bland
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: Albin 27 Engine Replacement

Post by Beta Don »

I put a turbo intercooled 100 HP Yanmar in my A27. Bought it fully rebuilt from a Yanmar distrubutor for $10K - Think the new model of my engine would run you about twice that. Paying someone to do the install could run $2500 to $5K, depending on what you decide to replace

It's an easy fit - Plenty of room. Quieter than your old Volvo for sure, probably a bit better fuel economy too

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
blandc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by blandc »

Thanks, Don! That is good to know. I'm really agonizing over agonizing over what to do with the mess the mechanics have made in trying to use a Hurth gear with my old Volvo engine. The connection is fine, but the alignment with the propeller shaft is way off.............. They are attempting to raise the engine now....... We'll see?????????? Thanks again!
SkipD
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marblehead, MA

Post by SkipD »

I am in the process of installing a Beta Marine 50 in a 1985 FC 27. Engine arrives next week. Can say that working with Beta Marine has been a pleasure. Their customer service, responsiveness to questions/requests, technical knowledge and pricing has been great. Stanley at Beta Marine is the goto person to start an inquiry if interested.
Mainer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Mainer »

You mention that there are significant alignment problems with the mechanics attempting to fit a Hurth transmission to your Volvo engine.

Hurth, of course, was bought by ZF years ago, so I'm guessing that your reference to Hurth means the transmission the mechanics are attempting to install is an older model.

One important factor for me was that my original Hurth transmission was a "down angle" design, i.e. the output shaft was angled 8 degrees downward. If one attempted to install a "non" down angle transmission it would be noticeably out of alignment with the prop shaft. That might be happening with your situation, though I can't imagine a marine mechanic making such a mistake.

Re engine change, my friend two slips away from me has a Yanmar 100 hp turbo that was a replacement in his A27 FC, and it is terrific, much quieter than my Isuzu and smooth and responsive, plus extremely fuel efficient.

By the way, for the folks who sympathized with my ZF 63A transmission installation woes, I now have 30 hours or so and plenty of miles on the unit, and am delighted with the resullts.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Mainer wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:31 am By the way, for the folks who sympathized with my ZF 63A transmission installation woes, I now have 30 hours or so and plenty of miles on the unit, and am delighted with the results.
The ZF63A has a great track record and in your application you are not asking much of it at all. Have you done the first fluid change? Should have been a tag on the filter cap for first change recommendation.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
blandc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by blandc »

Thanks all for the information! The transmission they are/were trying to install is, in fact, the ZF 25A. I'm not a mechanic, but just love the water and boating; I was relying on the the mechanics to know what they were doing. In any event, the output from the gear is totally wrong for the shaft angle of the Albin. Their solution was to raise the engine, but then the top of the engine was hitting the "doors" to the engine compartment. This is one I'm going to have to ponder over the weekend.......................
Thanks again to everyone for the input!
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

For my repower, the Yanmar dealer included a ZF45A with the engine I bought, since the engine had been removed from a sailboat under warranty and the original transmission didn't come with it

I think the 'A' behind the trans model indicates that it's output shaft has an 8 degree down angle - This did prove to be a bit of a problem when I installed the new engine in the boat

A27's all used straight through transmissions with no down angle and the shaft going out the back is angled down much less than 8 degrees, so when installing a down angle transmission, you wind up with the front of the engine angled down a bit, so as to get the aft end of the engine/trans to line up with the existing shaft. Since I was designing all my mountings from scratch, it wasn't THAT big of a problem, but putting a down angle trans on an existing engine which didn't come set up that way would require a good bit of re-engineering . . . . and by someone who understands what needs to be done - Not a job for the typical yard mechanic, IMO

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
SkipRocks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Augustine, FL

Post by SkipRocks »

Hi Charles, I didn't see what Volvo Penta you're running in your A27. The previous owner re-powered my '85 A27 Sport Cruiser with a Volvo Penta TAMD31P. It's a 150 HP 4 cylinder, turbo charged, intercooled diesel with a HS1A transmission. I haven't had any problems with it - in fact it's been a great motor for us. Easy on fuel. Yes, the 7 knot(ish) hull speed is the best speed for fuel economy by far. When the bottom's clean I can push it up to 14 at 3900 wot. That''s no fun at all - it's loud, squatty and burns a lot of fuel anywhere over 3500 rpm. I know it's not 80% of wot, but I usually run this engine anywhere between 2000 rpm (7 knots) and 2500 (almost 8 knots). Fuel consumption is low and it's a nice relaxing ride.
Skip

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”