• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Lehman 120 starters

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Lehman 120 starters

Post by rebuckley »

API has two starters for the Lehman. The LUC100 and LUC106. I have emailed the company, with no response yet. Does anyone know the difference? All of the specs I see foe them online are the same, I can't see any difference online aside from the 106 costing about $30 more?
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Lehman 120 starters

Post by jleonard »

Is yours dead? There used to be a good rebuild shop in Westerly that rebuilt a Perkins starter for me several years ago. It was just down the street from McQuades.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

I am not 100% sure on the starter, I was testing my 8d batteries today and got low SG on the cells closest to the neg poles. I am going to bring them up to midstate this week for a test, they may be the issue....if not then I am back to the starter
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

Well, went to midstate battery (makers of my 8d's) one was toast and one was weak. 2 new batteries and still have starter hesitation. All connections are very clean. I am suspect of the starter relay, I think I found the cole hersee on amazon, but was thinking of checking Napa to see if they have one. I hope to check the voltage today on the starter itself. I assume is it simple, if the starter is getting full volts, but won't function then it is the culprit. If the volts drop, but the batteries are fine, it is something between. Either relay or solenoid. Not sure how to figure the difference there? Also as my starter and solenoid are a single unit I assume it would be a rebuild of some kind? Have not looked closely to see how they are connected? Any suggestions?
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
Sea Crawler
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Trident Yacht Club, Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

Post by Sea Crawler »

Here is how I solved my poor starter issue back in 2012.
1. Bypassed the Cole-Hersee 1-BOTH-2-OFF switch at the lower helm position.
2. Installed the starting battery next to the starter. (to keep the 3 ft 2/0 AWG battery cables as short as possible)
3. Changed the Lucas starter as follows:
The Lucas direct drive 26227F (M50G) starter found installed exhibited poor cranking output.
Inspection and bench testing by Ron Bulloch, owner of Commercial Alternator & Starter Repair in Smiths Falls, Ontario, Canada revealed that the Lucas M50 starter had been serviced at some point in the past and that it was working properly.
On recommendation by Ron, the 2.4KW Lucas M50 starter was replaced with a new ISKRA high torque gear reduction P/N IS1158 (AZF4146) starter that is rated @ 4.3KW. The new ISKRA starter was installed at the beginning of the 2012 boating season (Engine TTSN 3211.0); the Lucas starter was relegated as a spare.
Note: Iskra products are now marketed under the Letrika name.
The starters are 12 VDC, CW rotation with 10 tooth pinion.

To date, the FL120 cranks with ease using a single Mercury Model No. D/P 8M0085156812V Combo Deep Cycle/Starting battery (Group 31 size), CCA Rating 700, CA Rating 875. Have started and restarted numerous times over the years during locking on the Erie and Rideau canals without any hesitation.
Robert Plante
1980 Albin 36 DC; FL120
11kolive
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vashon Island, WA

Post by 11kolive »

I replaced my Lehman 120 starter by going to a ford tractor dealers parts department. MUCH CHEAPER.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Don't know if this helps, but Fred Warner was very knowledgeable when I asked about alternators for my 4D61. They have starters for L120 at: https://www.fredwarner1.net/product/for ... 91-is1158/

Doug
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “Albin Maintenance”